Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just giving everyone a heads up.

This past weekend I bought the Microtuner from American Motorsport. This thing is pretty cool! It lets you flash your computer yourself from a selection of several programs. I've got a couple of fuel efficient programs + a stock program and a performance program.

The tuner you just plug into the diagnostic port under your dash. You follow the directions on the screen to select and flash a program. You also can check and clear DTC's. (FYI, I've had NO DTC's generated with ANY of the programs I've used from Alberto) Right now we're still trying to fine tune the econ programs. It makes the car do some strange things, which apparently are't in any way damaging to the engine, just bizar and a little anoying. Apparently it's side effects some cars get from the extrame economy programs.

As I'm awaiting changes to the programs, I've loaded the stock program again. How boring it is! The stock sifts are so lame after you're used to the performance shifts. I can't wait to get the custom programs running again!

Anyway, just wanted to share another positive experiance with American Motorsport.

And if anyone asks, my PCM Code is now AMS-4001 hehe. ;)

-Dan

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
I too got the microtuner and think it's great. I'm just loving the fact that i don't have to send a chip back for any changes and then experience the stock program while i would wait for the changed chip to return to me (which i'm sure alberto would make it as short of a time as possible). I even dropped the cash and got the cable and computer software so alberto can just email the changed program and don't even have to send him my microtuner. Damn that's a nice feature :D

·
Registered
437 Posts
What Dan is experiencing is normal. I warned him about it. If you go with MAXIMUM economy, you get, while cruising, what feels like "trailer-hitching" (slight jerking) which is why Ford does not do this from the factory. This is due to the extreme EGR calibration. He now has chosen for me to update his files so that I use a little bit less of an agressive EGR calibration. This will sacrifice like 1MPG of the gained MPG's but has no driveability side effects.

Not all cars suffer from this, but some cars just cannot run that much EGR w/o getting that effect,. I knew hiswould by looking at the stock file...

Dan, your upload cable left today as promised. Funny thing is I had a spare one at the dyno when you met up with me LOL.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At the time, I didn't think I was going to need it! LOL! But I think in the long run it's a good thing. This way if I make any other major changes, we can work on it.

By the way, could the performance program I run be beefed up any more if we considered it a race-only program? Since I have the other programs, there's no reason to be concerned with fuel efficiency at all from that thing now.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh. Hmmm. I don't think I'd want to do that unless I could reroute a second set of fuel lines to accept a fuel cell. It's bad enough that I have to run out my tank of Regular before I use premium. I don't know. I'll think about it. You can only buy that stuff at the track though, right?

-Dan

·
Registered
437 Posts
You can get it some other places...you are already running max timing on your car for the performance program, so if you wanted any more power, you'd have to have race gas...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just dump Octane Boost in the gas tank, that will work, and before everyone gets flamey on me, I am talking about adding Toluene, just go to a paint store and buy a gallon $7 here in Illinois, but ya gotta be careful, out fuel guy melted the spark plugs in his dune buggy by using too much. but it won't hurt your engine a bit if you stay reasonable with the % u use

·
Registered
549 Posts
Just curious, what kind of MPG can one expect from the aggressive economy programs?

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
ok and on the flip side if you put a more agressive computer prg with the eec prg does it cost a lot more gaz and does it really make your car kick ass

cuz at 400 $ us me im canadian it a lot of money or would it bew possible to have a loner lolllllllll or some do it for me :D

oh and question is it really does a big difference with the bigger fuel pump injector and the maf what does all those part does in upgrade ?

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Originally posted by mooby@Jul 3 2004, 11:20 AM
ok and on the flip side if you put a more agressive computer prg with the eec prg does it cost a lot more gaz and does it really make your car kick ass

cuz at 400 $ us me im canadian it a lot of money or would it bew possible to have a loner lolllllllll or some do it for me :D

oh and question is it really does a big difference with the bigger fuel pump injector and the maf what does all those part does in upgrade ?
If you drive conservatively, the performance progam usually nets you like 1mpg.

It does make your car have a lot moreThere is no point in upgrading MAF, injectors or pumpin a stockcar...what's the point? You don't need any more fuel and you won't flow nay more air since your stock MAF is not a restriction.

Heare you go, read this: http://www.americanmotorsport.com/faq.htm#q11

Hope it helps! Let me know.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
so so the maf and the pump and the injector are not a big need but is the ecc reprogram of the chip any good ?

lolllll at 400 $ i was not talking about the maf i was talking about the tool you use to reprogram you ecc chip :D

·
Registered
437 Posts
There is no EEC chip per se...so in essence you speak of the Mictrotuner we sell, used to reprogram the EEC itself with a program we make.

Our performance program provides great benefits for your car, if that is what you are looking fior...

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by americanmotorsport.com+Jul 3 2004, 11:35 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (americanmotorsport.com @ Jul 3 2004, 11:35 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mooby@Jul 3 2004, 11:20 AM

cuz at 400 $ us me im canadian it a lot of money or would it bew possible to have a loner lolllllllll or some do it for me  :D

If you drive conservatively, the performance progam usually nets you like 1mpg.

It does make your car have a lot moreThere is no point in upgrading MAF, injectors or pumpin a stockcar...what's the point? You don't need any more fuel and you won't flow nay more air since your stock MAF is not a restriction.

Heare you go, read this: http://www.americanmotorsport.com/faq.htm#q11

Hope it helps! Let me know. [/b][/quote]
I think 1mpg is a low estimate. I switched from superchips to americanmotorsport and now I'm averaging 2mpg better and I don't really drive conservatively. This is a mpg increase even though I race my car; at a bare minimum I usually have at least half a dozen WOT runs per tank. If I kept the rpms under 2500 and didn't race, I'd probably see a better mileage increase, but I can't stay out of the throttle. :grin2:

I'd probably get better mileage if I still had my EGR valve, too.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
if it is this good and fun so i thinking of the microtuner but the only set back it that it only for one car and i would have lode to be eable to at least do my mom car at that price and my dad

but ill see cuz at 400 $ plus the shipping plus the wiring for the usb cable it 500 $ plus shiioping and #@#%@# tax at custom but i know i can do something about those lolllllllll but still all that for one car tempting but out of my reach

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
my pcm ? my computer ?

sorry i just dont know what a pcm is

im a newbie and what would be the price ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts