Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a seating compatibility for Gen 3 and 4 question. I would like to put the seats from my 1996 GL Taurus into my (new-to-me) 2005 SE Taurus. They’re softer and have less hump pressing the back.

I have been researching this project for some time and have not found any threads through google or Taurus related forums. My Haynes Repair Manual does not cover seating repair. Ford garage simply tells me that they cannot order seats - hence they have no idea of crossover compatibility for seating.

This is not a task for try-it-and-see-if-it-works method. First, the seats will be large, heavy, and awkward to handle, possibly requiring the removing of the doors to allow for enough space during removal and installation. Second, bolting configuration might not align, though arguably a candidate for try-it-and-see-if-it-works method (after much work completing step one - removal of doors). Third, and IMO, the most critical concern is there might by some electrical issues of incompatibility, such as computer sensors.

I am wanting to install the seat pad of Gen 3 onto the Gen 4 seat framing. This would avoid many on the electrical - computer issues I am concerned about. I would like to hear what guidance you can offer to accomplish this task.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
To remove them, you slide the plastic covers off the mount points, after that you push the seat back as far as it'll go, then unbolt the front. Then push it all the way forward and unbolt the back. It'll lift right out. They weigh about 40ish lb.

I know Ford shared their seat track designs across many vehicles in the 90s, so there's certainly a chance, the mounting points on the floor pan might even be the same, too.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I have a seating compatibility for Gen 3 and 4 question. I would like to put the seats from my 1996 GL Taurus into my (new-to-me) 2005 SE Taurus. They’re softer and have less hump pressing the back.
Heh, if it were me I would probably keep the current seats. I have a curved back and lumbar support significantly reduces the ache and pain from long drives for me. I guess everyone is different though.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
There are definitely threads out there, check under Topic Finder at the top :)

Now 2004+ models have some sensors in the butt cushion to check your weight to determine force of impact, in addition to the sensor that detects the position of your seat on the track.

With that in mind, your goal will be to swap the butt cushion and the seat back to your 2005 seat frame, so you retain these safety devices, otherwise flashing airbag light. You will have to cut up some of the plastic molding that snaps around the buckle on your 1996 to conform and fit to your 2005 seat frame, as any 2000+ seat has seat belt pretensioners for driver/passenger. They have a felt fabric that lays over them to hide the metal and warning labels. Check out some of the threads guys like myself, and Vash who have swapped Gen 3 SHO seats into our vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,405 Posts
My cloth 04 seats suck! Im going to the junkyard next weeked to try and find some sho seats
Yeah..There are none better than the SHO seats..got a set last year, the most comfortable seats I have ever had.
Espcially on long drives...no butt pain!!! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts