Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I got a chance to get Chez's SHO seats out of his 97... they are tan I know they are different tan than my tan but I think it will still look good.

I know how to swap the back seats out... thats easy

my question is how to swap the front seats...

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
The 1996/7 use a different style motor & connector from the 98/99 models (one noteworthy difference). Do you want to use your current seat bases or use his? Is the passenger seat powered?

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Jul 21 2009, 05:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741092
The 1996/7 use a different style motor & connector from the 98/99 models (one noteworthy difference). Do you want to use your current seat bases or use his? Is the passenger seat powered?[/b]
Yup both of the seats are powered.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that would be a problem since I want both seats to be power but my passenger is not power.... sigh

·
Registered
34 Posts
if you can, grab the power wire coming from under the carpet off the donor car.

I just upgraded the seats in my 98 taurus out of a 96 sable wagon (not sure what trim level, but it had every option duratec, leather, console) to power the passenger side, I sliced into the driver side power wire, and using the plug off the donor, made up the new cable for the other side.

Everything on the new seats was powered from a single power tap. The seats even had the power lumbar air system. Not sure if these are the same seats out of an SHO, but they were full leather with power control and lumbar both sides.

taking the seats out of a donor car without power available was a pain as I couldn't slide the seats back and forth, but bolting in the seats was real easy once the power was working.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (GUN SHO @ Jul 21 2009, 06:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741093
The 1996/7 use a different style motor & connector from the 98/99 models (one noteworthy difference). Do you want to use your current seat bases or use his? Is the passenger seat powered?[/b]
[/b][/quote]
As Kari K suggested, grab as much of the harness on both ends. You'll want to tap into the driver's side for power (if the passenger side lacks it).

Seat removal is easy...and once again, like Kari K said, keep the power handy as you'll need to move the seats around to properly remove them. Do the front two first, then the rear two. And having a nice big breaker bar for the larger nut will be handy...it's torqued down quite tightly.

This will be the easiest way for you most likely. You may want to consider snipping the harness from either your old driver's seat (or a 98+ from the junkyard that has lumbar and power) so you can cut down on hacking up your original wiring in your vehicle.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Jul 21 2009, 07:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741112
QUOTE (GUN SHO @ Jul 21 2009, 06:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741093
[/b][/quote]
As Kari K suggested, grab as much of the harness on both ends. You'll want to tap into the driver's side for power (if the passenger side lacks it).

Seat removal is easy...and once again, like Kari K said, keep the power handy as you'll need to move the seats around to properly remove them. Do the front two first, then the rear two. And having a nice big breaker bar for the larger nut will be handy...it's torqued down quite tightly.

This will be the easiest way for you most likely. You may want to consider snipping the harness from either your old driver's seat (or a 98+ from the junkyard that has lumbar and power) so you can cut down on hacking up your original wiring in your vehicle.

[/b][/quote]

my car has a harness on the passenger side under the seat not plugged into anything.

are the wires the same? is it just the harness that's different?

and I thought only 96's had lumbar on both sides...

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took a picture of the harness under the passenger seat

I pulled it out had one of those silly tab things that Ford loves to use:

And here it is after I took it off

Its hard to believe they changed harnesses mid year... but then again they do a lot of funny things to these cars don't they

·
Registered
34 Posts
looks the same as the 96, and 98. just added the extra connector for pass side. Haven't put a larger fuse in or anything like that, but who moves their seats that often anyway? Seatbelt sensor connectors were the same, but seatbelt latch is different between Mercury and Ford, figure that one out... They look the same, but don't latch smoothly.

Seats i pulled were from a 96 sable wagon, got the whole premium sound system out of it as well. that was a good find at a self serve scrap yard. Still trying to decide if I want to pull the dash and do the column to floor shift conversion.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (KARI K @ Jul 21 2009, 08:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741124
looks the same as the 96, and 98. just added the extra connector for pass side. Haven't put a larger fuse in or anything like that, but who moves their seats that often anyway? Seatbelt sensor connectors were the same, but seatbelt latch is different between Mercury and Ford, figure that one out... They look the same, but don't latch smoothly.

Seats i pulled were from a 96 sable wagon, got the whole premium sound system out of it as well. that was a good find at a self serve scrap yard. Still trying to decide if I want to pull the dash and do the column to floor shift conversion.[/b]
well that's good to hear...

if you do, do a conversion and want wood trim I have a really rare wood trim floor shifter with an over drive button that I cant use since I dont have the O/D button, and would be too hard to add... let me know ;)

I got that out of a 99 Sable LS wagon I saw at a junk yard, blue on blue with blue leather... had every factory option as well...

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
your seat belt connectors might be different.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
It'll be easier for you to swap over your seat belt assembly on the seat itself to the new seats. (I removed the nut that holds on the seat belt buckle on just for now since the seat is in my room).

1996/7s have a different seat belt buckle from the 1998/9 model (second gen air bag stuff?).

First, pry up and remove the exterior plastic covering on the side that has the seat belt receiving end:

Then on the opposite side, remove the 2 nuts holding the assembly on:

The whole buckle assmebly will come apart from the seat...fish the seat belt sensor wiring through as well.

And follow those instructions to mount it to the new seat...voila!

Here's the power connector for the 1996 seat I have that just has lumbar (snipped end coming out of the car's carpet):

1996/7 driver's side power seat motors:

Connector from the seat adjustment switch:

And here's what's in my room right now as my makeshift "sofa":

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the pics nick!

is it possible to add lumbar support to the passenger seat? or is it too hard and not worth it...

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
The SHO seats use an air bag with a pump to fill it up. The "deflate" side of the switch just opens a a valve and dumps the air back out.

I'd say it's not worth putting in unless the seat somehow already had the air bag in the seat back...that'd be a pain, and passengers don't need no stinkin' lumbar support. :p

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, the seat swap wont be happening due to work getting in the way for Chez...

does anyone else have a pair of tan SHO seats that are both power they would like to trade or sell?

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Jul 21 2009, 07:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741112
And having a nice big breaker bar for the larger nut will be handy...it's torqued down quite tightly.[/b]
If it's anything like the Gen II, the lug wrench takes care of that nut fairly well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts