Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I owned a 2002 taurus LX years ago. Had a manual seat. Height was no problem. Im about 6'2 and some change.

I purchased a 2003 SE commuter car a few weeks ago. Like a bone head, i didnt really inspect the height of the seat as my concerns were more about engine, transmission, rust, mileage etc. I just assumed that not much changed from the 02 to 03. I might have been wrong

I purchased the car and started driving it. I definitely have less room to get in and out of the car without bending my neck and back. Even in reclining the seat back as far as i can go it doesnt help too much. There is a noticeable difference. The seat sits higher. It very cramped and uncomfortable.

I checked the manual, and there is supposed to be a rotating wheel somewhere on the manual seats for height adjustment. There is no such thing on my car. I even took it to the Ford dealership and they couldnt find it either.

Has anyone else encountered this and or know maybe what i can do? Did Ford raise the seats from the 02 to the 03?

I need to lower this seat an inch at the very least to be able to drive this car consistently or im in trouble.

Thanks 馃

Super Moderator
My 05 SEL Premium Duratec has a knob under the front part of the driver seat that adjusts the lumbar support. Lower trim levels, like the SE do not have the lumbar adjustment.

Maybe pick up a power seat base from the JY and switch the power seat base for your manual seat base?

Registered
My 05 SEL Premium Duratec has a knob under the front part of the driver seat that adjusts the lumbar support. Lower trim levels, like the SE do not have the lumbar adjustment.

Maybe pick up a power seat base from the JY and switch the power seat base for your manual seat base?
About $40 at local JY. Some tricks for getting power seat out. Will post if you like. Pic is with side impact AB.
-chart-

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

That鈥檚 an idea. I鈥檓 guess I鈥檇 need the junked seat as well? Pretty sure I can adjust a manual seat

Registered
1999 Taurus SE Wagon (dohc, ax4n)
I owned a 2002 taurus LX years ago. Had a manual seat. Height was no problem. Im about 6'2 and some change.

I purchased a 2003 SE commuter car a few weeks ago.
I'm wondering if the 2002 seat was used more, maybe broken under seat support springs, or just the foam was very compressed. I had a 99 sedan and the seat was perfect. 3 cars later I bought a 99 wagon. Both had electric driver's side with power lumbar. I sank in the wagon's seat. I lift it up with the electric, but the knee support now feels too high. I ended up buying a decent driving pillow, and I'm on the lookout for seats.

Registered
At least G-1, the power seats had springs, and the manual ones were a metal pan with foam. I had '87, '88 with power. Company cars had manual seats, '86. Difference was very large to my bottom. I have had/have 10 Bulls and never owned a manual driver's seat. Can't comment on those after G-1.
-chart-

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm wondering if the 2002 seat was used more, maybe broken under seat support springs, or just the foam was very compressed. I had a 99 sedan and the seat was perfect. 3 cars later I bought a 99 wagon. Both had electric driver's side with power lumbar. I sank in the wagon's seat. I lift it up with the electric, but the knee support now feels too high. I ended up buying a decent driving pillow, and I'm on the lookout for seats.
That鈥檚 very possible too I suppose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts