Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 99 Taurus Wagon with the 24v DOHC V6.

Done a few minor things to it. Just smoked the damn Gen 1 damper assy and replaced it with the spoked wheel type drive gear. What a PITA. But it got done.

Anyway, in searching around on the motor I found a secondary throttle linkage which is supposed to "clip" to a flapper type actuator on the top of the engine. The engine starts and drives fine, passed AZ emissions with flying colors.

Does anyone know the proper name for this clip to hold the actuator to the throttle linkage rod? A part number would help immensely.

I can attach a pic if necessary.

PS I also have the "low coolant light" issue that others have had. It gets really hot here in AZ and I wouldn't be surprised if the tank was cracked.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
22,490 Posts
Need pic(s) please. Are you talking about the imrc (intake manifold runner control- secondaries) linkage bushings? If so, I have part#s. Are you losing coolant causing the light and chime? If not, you can replace the tank, or unplug the sensor on the bottom and rely on the dash gauge, or, as member Scout1 (Ed) did, drain 1/2-2/3 of the tank and replace with full-strength antifreeze which kept the light off for him.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll get a pic of that for ya tomorrow. It sounds like the same thing.

Rarely does any coolant come out of the tank, but the light comes on and goes off intermittently for no apparent reason.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here's the pics.

Drained the tank and filled it with straight Prestone tonight, a bit above the max cold fill line. Started and ran for about 20 mins. No "low coolant" light.

·
Registered
22,490 Posts
Imrc linkage bushings: from the "Help!" (Dorman) section at Advance Auto- part#47099- $2.88 for a 5pk. Or, Ford part#F5RZ-9F955-AB.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What does it do anyway? The car passed emissions easily and seems to start and run fine.

Mileage isn't what I'd like, but we got out of an 08 Caliber which got 29 or so on the highway to this car which is much larger and more powerful than the squirrel/rubber band powered Dodge.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What does it do anyway? The car passed emissions easily and seems to start and run fine.

Mileage isn't what I'd like, but we got out of an 08 Caliber which got 29 or so on the highway to this car which is much larger and more powerful than the squirrel/rubber band powered Dodge.

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
The butterflies open passages in the intake manifold runners that change the tuning of the manifold at higher RPMs. In other words, it gives you more power at high RPMs.

·
Registered
22,490 Posts
^+1. Iirc, they open at ~3500rpm. AZEX, if you don't see them at Adv. Auto, ask the counter person to order them for you. Or you probably can on the internet by googling: Dorman (with the part#). Or try the "Help!" section at O'Reilly, Autozone or the "Balkamp" (Dorman) section at Napa. Ford probably wants a mint (if they're even still available)?

·
Registered
22,490 Posts
AZEX, with the missing linkage bushing, were you getting a cel (check eng. lt.)? Possibly a p1518 (imrc stuck open), a p1519 (imrc stuck closed) or a p1520 (imrc circuit malfunction)?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts