Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I followed the TSB for the common water leak problem these cars are known for. My car is a 2003 model and the carpet on the front passenger floor was damp. I removed the cowl and replaced it with the new one. I also installed the rain hat extension. Also re-sealed around the cabin filter tray with clear silicone. It's been dry for at least 3 weeks. Today I went to wash the car and noticed the old rags I had placed under the carpet were a little damp again.

It's definately coming in from somewhere near the firewall because that's the only area that was damp. The carpet itself is dry but the material underneith is damp.

I'm at a total loss. I sealed everything and now it still leaks.

I've heard people talk about heater cores. Could it be possible this is the problem?. There's no rad fluid in the car. It's simply clear water.

Any suggestions before I have to pay somebody to fix this?.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Agree with Sheila 100%!!

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Water

I followed the TSB for the common water leak problem these cars are known for. My car is a 2003 model and the carpet on the front passenger floor was damp. I removed the cowl and replaced it with the new one. I also installed the rain hat extension. Also re-sealed around the cabin filter tray with clear silicone. It's been dry for at least 3 weeks. Today I went to wash the car and noticed the old rags I had placed under the carpet were a little damp again.

It's definately coming in from somewhere near the firewall because that's the only area that was damp. The carpet itself is dry but the material underneith is damp.

I've heard people talk about heater cores. Could it be possible this is the problem?. There's no rad fluid in the car. It's simply clear water.

I had a water leak into the blower on my '01 Sable. I heard the water sloshing in the blower. Took the blower out and it was just clean water. I took the cabin air filter out and it was wet so I knew the source but not why. I left the filter out and put the rain shield back and latched it. De-watered the motor and put a drain hole in the plastic motor shroud for it to drain if it happened again. It did not leak again. I put a cabin filter in again some time later and was careful to see that the rain shield did clip in place. I ran water over it with a hose and did not get any wet in the filter again.

One has to be careful if any water gets behind the floor mat. It is really hard to get it open and dry. Been there, done that::(

Now: my '03 Sable has a drain hole in the motor shroud. I checked and would have put one there but it was already there. Guess Ford noticed the issue. Better to have the water drip on the carpet than go into the motor. I dried my motor with compressed air and it has been running fine for a year. I plan to get a used blower from my local Pick-A-Part Sat. They have a one day half price day. There is a Sable there with ~40K and their normal price is $17.

I had a similar issue with my '02 Lincoln Cont. but I did find for sure the rain shield over the cabin filter was not in correctly. That one is very very hard to get in right. You need a flashlight and a long screw driver to get it in place in the very left back. It seems to be in and latched but it is not. That shield slides out to do the filter, and has to be slid back in just so or it misses and seems to latch.

Good Luck

-chart-

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE.....

I'm starting to pull my hair out from this. I finally caved in and took the car to the local Ford dealer. They basically went over everything I had already done. They did a pressure test on the windshield and everything came back ok. No leaks. Then they checked the cabin filter that I had already re-sealed. They added more. Checked the A/C drain. It's draining fine... not clogged. Heater core and box ok. No water.

It's rained for the past 2 days and the carpet is wet again.

I think Sheila could be right about that A/C drain. All the material below and around this drain is soaked. I can stick my hand further up the firewall and the material is dry. Here's my question....

This leak began during the winter and I haven't had the A/C going until just recently. Are you saying that rainwater is getting splashed up and making it's way into the car through this A/C drain gasket?.

I found a picture on this site and this looks to be the same place where my leak has originated from. According to the comments on this thread.... it sounds like the dash has to be pulled apart to properly seal it.

Look at post #12. That's where I think my car is leaking too.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/98-solutions-common-problems-how-articles/128114-i-gots-curse-2.htmlhttp://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...19&bih=700&tbm=isch&ei=01XQTcz3MYHA0AGFhuyaDg

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
Yes. Its not the drain clogging, its that the drain is set in a non-waterproof foam seal that allows water from above, below and sides to enter. Seal the recess surrounding the stiff black plastic oval drain tube. Silicone around it. This is performed on the firewall side, no need to pull the dash.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Yes. Its not the drain clogging, its that the drain is set in a non-waterproof foam seal that allows water from above, below and sides to enter. Seal the recess surrounding the stiff black plastic oval drain tube. Silicone around it. This is performed on the firewall side, no need to pull the dash.
My '07 was leaking when it was only 1 year old. Ford never fixed this problem that was carried over from the 3'rd generation Taurus. This was one of many reasons I did not buy another Ford, my '07 Taurus. If the new models, such as the Fiesta, hold up WAY better than prev years, and Ford actually corrects any design issues instead of carrying it over for years, I may actually buy another one someday. For now, it's all imports for me.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
I did that repair awhile ago on my 05. Pissed me off that it happened on my car. One would figure Ford woulda corrected these mistakes, but nah, they were too concerned with cutting costs. :p

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok... thanks for the info. I'll definately give this a try. It hasn't stopped raining here for the past 4 days. How difficult will it be to access this drain from the outside?. I'm guessing it will have to be on a hoist?.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Access Drain

Ok... thanks for the info. I'll definately give this a try. It hasn't stopped raining here for the past 4 days. How difficult will it be to access this drain from the outside?. I'm guessing it will have to be on a hoist?.
Jack up the right front, remove wheel and put it under frame just behind jack with a 2x4 on it for a safety support. (or use a jack stand)

Remove inner fender liner and you should be able to get to the drain.

I did this last year. My drain stopped draining and the air cond faded to nothing. It did drip but very slowly. I tried a shop vac but could not get it on the drain due to it's shape. I used a length of small, maybe quarter inch plastic tubing and pushed it up and around the bend and the water ran out. Did not get any solids out, just clear water. It has been working fine since. '01 Sable LX with auto climate. (only 108K) My daughter dirves it work and I get visitation from time to time.

Happy sealing.

-chart-

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
I cant remember if i even removed the wheel, or simply turned it hard left or right? I didnt remove either half of the inner liner. With or without wheel removed, best to apply a big glob of silicone to your fingertips and apply around the outside of the ac drain tube until recess is filled, taking care not to get any inside the tube. Easy peasy! Dont worry too much about aesthetics, no one is going see the lower half of your passenger firewall. Important to have a roll of paper towels for hand wiping, lol.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Wear some disposable gloves sheila! Didn't remove wheel well liner either for my car.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I cant remember if i even removed the wheel, or simply turned it hard left or right? I didnt remove either half of the inner liner. With or without wheel removed, best to apply a big glob of silicone to your fingertips and apply around the outside of the ac drain tube until recess is filled, taking care not to get any inside the tube. Easy peasy! Dont worry too much about aesthetics, no one is going see the lower half of your passenger firewall. Important to have a roll of paper towels for hand wiping, lol.
We've had some really lousy weather here in Ontario lately. If we get anymore rain I'll have to build myself an ark. :D

I'm desperate to get this leak fixed. Decided to take the car over to my neighbourhood garage and have them put it on the hoist. It's a lot easier then trying to climb under the car. They only charged me "coffee money" which was nice of them. They said that it appeared the seal had somehow shifted. They managed to put some silicone around it but it'll probably need to be done again because the motor was hot and they couldn't get their hand close enough without getting burned. They suggested I bring the car back and let it cool for a bit before they apply another coat.

I checked it again today and there was still a leak coming in.... but I'm going to wait until they apply a second coat and make sure it's entirely covered before I know for sure it's been fixed.

Now I've got a problem with the driver side... (see post).

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Did you do this from above or below the car?

Gotta tackle this soon. Good to know that it's somewhere you can't see because the tube of silicone I just picked up says "WHITE". It was with the clear ones on the shelf...learn to put things back in the right place people! :lol2:

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Silicone

Did you do this from above or below the car?

Gotta tackle this soon. Good to know that it's somewhere you can't see because the tube of silicone I just picked up says "WHITE". It was with the clear ones on the shelf...learn to put things back in the right place people! :lol2:
I will do this through the wheel well. I went in this way to open up the stopped drain in my '01. I think the access is better and you are likely to get a better job.

Oh yes, I would use black to match the drain.:p

I used black on the rear glass of my '01 wagon. All around the rubber seal, then shut the glass on the silicone and let it sit 24 hours. I used duct tape on the top where the hinges were broken while it cured. Permanent fix for a useless glass to open. One high priced piece of glass that will not be flying into someone elses car on the freeway.B)

-chart-

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The car has been sitting in my driveway since Friday and we've had rain on and off since. Went to check out the car this morning and sure enough the floor was wet again. I had placed rags in various spots. The one I placed around the A/C pipe was not wet this time (which is unusual).

I'm starting to go insane over this. I've sealed around the cabin filter tray. I've sealed around the A/C drain (although it does need a second coat). The car hasn't moved in 3 days and yet there's water on the floor.

What's the odds that it's the windshield????. The bodyshop at Ford claims they tested this by spraying windex on the outside glass and using an air gun inside to see if there was any air coming through. I don't know how accurate this would be.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Water

If it comes in around the cabin filter, the filter will be wet, and water will be in the blower. The blower should drain out a small hole near the bottom of the motor. If the blower is dry, it is not the filter tray. Removing the blower is not a big job either. I had so much water in my '01 the blower was slow and made this sloshing sound as it tried to spin. My '01 did not have a drain hole, but my '03 did. I made 3 drains in my '01. Mine got water in the middle of winter so maybe water froze in the drains of the cowel.

-chart-

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If it comes in around the cabin filter, the filter will be wet, and water will be in the blower. The blower should drain out a small hole near the bottom of the motor. If the blower is dry, it is not the filter tray. Removing the blower is not a big job either. I had so much water in my '01 the blower was slow and made this sloshing sound as it tried to spin. My '01 did not have a drain hole, but my '03 did. I made 3 drains in my '01. Mine got water in the middle of winter so maybe water froze in the drains of the cowel.

-chart-
I think we've ruled out the cabin filter as being the source. There is so much silicone that it can't possibly leak now. We had a heavy downpour yesterday and no leak. So I'm really puzzled now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts