Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone has ever used the Seafoam product. I heard that you can pour 1/3 of the can down your PCV valve hose, and shut the car off for like 5minutes, start it up, and it will clean out your intake. Has anyone ever heard of this? or has anyone ever tried it? Would it be a bad idea?

Thanks
Adam

B

·
0 Posts
I think Ian Macoomb (1Fast97) tried it on his V8 SHO. Apparently the car ran rough for a few minutes, but cleared itself up.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, Thanks Bob. I was planning on trying it, but I didn't want it to screw someting up. lol

Adam

·
Registered
157 Posts
I saw some kid in my Auto Systems class do this last year. From what I saw, it didn't look like a good idea. He poured it in, then he got in the car (old Cavalier) and revved it. That killed the engine, and it took him several minutes to get it to start again. When it did start, it was very rough. The engine was knocking and a lot of smoke was coming out of the exhaust. It ran like that for a few minutes, then finally calmed down. To me, it seemed like the process would hurt the engine more than help it, but I'm not a mechanic.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Originally posted by 99GBlue@Aug 28 2004, 01:33 PM
I saw some kid in my Auto Systems class do this last year. From what I saw, it didn't look like a good idea. He poured it in, then he got in the car (old Cavalier) and revved it. That killed the engine, and it took him several minutes to get it to start again. When it did start, it was very rough. The engine was knocking and a lot of smoke was coming out of the exhaust. It ran like that for a few minutes, then finally calmed down. To me, it seemed like the process would hurt the engine more than help it, but I'm not a mechanic.
All that stuff is what it is supposed to do, that's the point.

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
all that smoke coming out was the crap being cleaned out from the engine. From what I read, even when you hand clean your engine yourself, it does this afterwards.

-kyle

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
The whole point of this stuff is that you attach the can to a vaccum hose, and let it all get sucked into the engine. Once 2/3 of the can is in the engine, it'll die, since it's not getting enough oxygen. At this point, you disconnect the can from the vaccum line, and pour the rest in the fuel tank. Reconnect the vaccum line to the car, and start er' up. The car will sputter and smoke and idle roughly, but it's thoroughly cleaning everything. This stuff works well, and many people that I know use it (including the guy with the 12 second Impala SS). Your exhaust is going to look like poop, but it'll clean up after awhile. Beware though, this stuff is known to foul O2 sensors and could potentially clog your cat, so you might want to take that into consideration when using it. But hey, if it's time to change your O2 sensors and cats, why not?

JR

·
Registered
695 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Aug 28 2004, 11:37 AM
I think Ian Macoomb (1Fast97) tried it on his V8 SHO. Apparently the car ran rough for a few minutes, but cleared itself up.
Not me.

I did have my fuel system treated at the local Mr. Lube. I'm not sure if that's similar. They disconnect a vacuum line and let the engine suck the stuff in. The car ran like **** for a few minutes afterwards. When I pulled out the parking lot and floored it there was a huge cloud of smoke. At the next light a guy told me I was burning oil.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I used it last night since I'm going to be changing my plugs & pcv valve today anyway...

After treatment I coasted out of the garage halfway down the driveway & lit her up. Took 3 tries to start the thing and when it finally lit it looked like I'd just blown a head gasket. My neighbor was coming up the street, drove through the cloud and gave me the biggest :blink: look.... :lol2:

I gassed the neighborhood pretty good heading out to the interstate. After about 2 or 3 miles there wasn't a hint of smoke left and I drove home. The car definitely idles better. Not too shabby for $4.50.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I've done this before. Great for making smoke and killing bugs. It will not really do anything as far as cleaning off the carbon build up but it will dilute and contaminate your oil. You will need to remove the intake to safely and throughly clean it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts