Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Seafoam

13K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  monkeydad 
#1 ·
I'm looking to run Seafoam through the engine but I can't nail down which hose I should use to feed it. I'm thinking its the line that runs at the lower middle-ish of the frame from the intake and does a 90 degree turn to the top of the engine block near the engine oil cap.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Oh this is gonna be fun…. I’ve done this before. Just a head up when you do ingest this via the engine: your car will emit white smoke like crazy! I had the neighbors call the fire department when I did it in my one car garage (at the time) at my old place.

My recommendation is ingest maybe ¼ -1/2 of the can into the engine, and pour the rest into an empty tank, then fill up (entirely) with premium fuel.
Reason for that is when you fill up completely, and THEN pour the seafoam (or lucas or zmax or whatever), it slowly trickles down the fuel tank. When it is poured first, then Filled up, the entire tank is being diluted completely.

Think of it this way:

you pour a glass of water, then kool-aid on the top. Takes forever for it to make its way down.
Pour kool-aid FIRST in the glass at the bottom, then pour water, and then see immediate results.

In the vehicle’s case: the majority of the solution will be sucked in by the fuel pump, when driving and clean and restore more effectively. Good luck!

#7 · (Edited)
Its worse than a waste of money. You are running the Seafoam to remove carbon deposits. Running a higher octane than the engine is designed for creates carbon deposits.

Never had a problem with seafoam fouling plugs. If your plugs are fouling, you have a problem.
Re to Khan
"Running a higher octane than the engine is designed for creates carbon deposits"

Might I add an example.

See pic of plugs from a car intended to run on premium.

These were changed out when it started to miss under load.

So, running a lower compression engine intended for regular on high test would likely be worse.

Shame we call it "premium". The only thing premium is PRICE.

-chart-

#6 ·
You need to find a line that hooks in upstream of the throttle body. It looks like there might be one right above the throttle body with a yellow clip. I would also feel around behind the manifold since that part is shadowed in your picture. Remember to rev the engine to about 2000 when you pour it in and don't pour it fast enough to kill the engine (hydrolock). Go slow and expect a smoke grenade. Drive the car fairly hard until the smoke stops.

If you use the line you pointed out, the seafoam will just run down into your air filter since there is no vacuum where the line hooks in. Seafoam also comes in a much easier to use spray version. You just pop the boot of the throttle body, stick the tube in there and put the boot back, then spray away. The aerosol probably gets to all the cylinders better than the liquid that probably just runs down into the two cylinders closest to the intake.

#8 ·
I've never had problems with Seafoaming. I always use the vacuum line trick, it works fairly well. I normally get two cans of it, one for the engine itself, half for the gas tank, and the other half for the crankcase right before an oil flush.

The cars I've done this on have had no problems, and run way better then before.

#13 ·
You probably won't get any Sea Foam smoke if you put it in the gas because it's too dilute. When you pour it down the intake it gets burned full strength in the cylinders in appreciable quantities and you get dense smoke.

Again, putting it in the gas and through the manifold accomplishes different things. Personally I would just stick with Techron in the gas and use Sea Foam Spray in the intake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.