Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had 5 cars in my life and I have never done Seafoam or any sort fuel system treatment other than an occasional dump-in-tank STP (Which did usually nothing noticeable)..So last weekend I did the Seafoam treatment after watching all the youtube posts and WOW!!!
What a Difference!!!
I did it in the fuel tank half bottle in 3/4 tank and the other half in the vacuum/intake of the engine... I also cleaned the TB with carb/choke cleaner and cleaned the MAF with the special MAF cleaner. Also flushed coolant (UHHG! P.I.A.) and new air filter. Today most of all the gasoline with Seafoam was used up and had ran its course. I punched it when I had to get on the freeway and was really taken back! Wow! I can't wait to change the plugs and put some quality wires on it!

Seriously this car wasn't this peppy when it had 7,000 miles on it (now has 62,500).

Thanks for all insight on Seafoam!

-Mike D

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
QUOTE (ragjungle @ Apr 27 2009, 05:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721108
So I have had 5 cars in my life and I have never done Seafoam or any sort fuel system treatment other than an occasional dump-in-tank STP (Which did usually nothing noticeable)..So last weekend I did the Seafoam treatment after watching all the youtube posts and WOW!!!
What a Difference!!!
I did it in the fuel tank half bottle in 3/4 tank and the other half in the vacuum/intake of the engine... I also cleaned the TB with carb/choke cleaner and cleaned the MAF with the special MAF cleaner. Also flushed coolant (UHHG! P.I.A.) and new air filter. Today most of all the gasoline with Seafoam was used up and had ran its course. I punched it when I had to get on the freeway and was really taken back! Wow! I can't wait to change the plugs and put some quality wires on it!

Seriously this car wasn't this peppy when it had 7,000 miles on it (now has 62,500).

-Mike D[/b]
Thank you for sharing.

Can you tell in details from where you put " the other half in the vacuum/intake of the engine"?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
QUOTE (daydaydvd @ Apr 27 2009, 09:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721181
What a Difference!!!

-Mike D[/b]
Thank you for sharing.

Can you tell in details from where you put " the other half in the vacuum/intake of the engine"?
[/b][/quote]

you can use the main vaccum line or even the brake booster.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (fdogg96 @ Apr 28 2009, 12:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721192
QUOTE (daydaydvd @ Apr 27 2009, 09:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721181
What a Difference!!!

-Mike D[/b]
Thank you for sharing.

[/b][/quote]

you can use the main vaccum line or even the brake booster.
[/b][/quote] no you cant-- the break booster on the 2007 is totally burried.. believe me it would be easier on my older Taurus (01) but not on the 2007..

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (daydaydvd @ Apr 28 2009, 12:09 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721181
What a Difference!!!

-Mike D[/b]
Thank you for sharing.

[/b][/quote]
I tried to find the brake booster intake line and it was more trouble than worth.. So I oulled the vacuum off the fuel rail and it worked just fine..I wound up putting half a bottle into a paper cup and dipping the line into it for ease..I had to stay on the gas to keep it running and I only let it suck in a little at a time --so It wouldn't bog down too much. You might wanna do only 1/3 bottle though so you dont stop up yer catalyitic converter with all the carbon crap that will be let loose -- Im doing duals with new cat in a month so I wasn't worried about it so I did a half bottle. Good Luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Seafoam is pretty pointless. All it did was cause my 'tec to backfire, blowing off the Vacuum elbow for the FPR/EGR system off the back of the intake manifold. Not worth it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (dark_fire @ Apr 29 2009, 06:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721743
Seafoam is pretty pointless. All it did was cause my 'tec to backfire, blowing off the Vacuum elbow for the FPR/EGR system off the back of the intake manifold. Not worth it.[/b]
:dunno: I noticed a marked difference in the performance of my previously VERY Sluggish bull. Seriously I wouldn't have wrote this up if I wasn't blown away by the effects SeaFoam had on my car. I didnt do anything else accept the Seafoam and I can pass a street sweeper now! LOL!

·
Registered
84 Posts
QUOTE (dark_fire @ Apr 29 2009, 07:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721743
Seafoam is pretty pointless. All it did was cause my 'tec to backfire, blowing off the Vacuum elbow for the FPR/EGR system off the back of the intake manifold. Not worth it.[/b]
your doing it wrong

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I always run a 1 can of Seafoam or 2 bottles of Techron every 10-15k in the tank as preventive maint, I use a can of Seafoam in my gas tank should I ever get a bad tank of gas-Seafoam is good stuff. Just don't EVER put Seafoam in your oil, that is called "instant rod knock". I wonder if I should clean my throttle body soon? It doesn't "look" dirty in there. The plugs and wires I won't bother with til I hit 100k, then new Motorcraft o.e.m plugs and wires for my bull, along with coolant flush. I discovered Napa carries that yellow coolant Ford uses that is a hard find. Napa also has the red stuff Mopar calls for.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
If you use this stuff directly injecting it in to your cylinders, I suggest a spark plug change afterwards. I personally wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (austex04 @ May 12 2009, 02:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=724497
I always run a 1 can of Seafoam or 2 bottles of Techron every 10-15k in the tank as preventive maint, I use a can of Seafoam in my gas tank should I ever get a bad tank of gas-Seafoam is good stuff. Just don't EVER put Seafoam in your oil, that is called "instant rod knock". I wonder if I should clean my throttle body soon? It doesn't "look" dirty in there. The plugs and wires I won't bother with til I hit 100k, then new Motorcraft o.e.m plugs and wires for my bull, along with coolant flush. I discovered Napa carries that yellow coolant Ford uses that is a hard find. Napa also has the red stuff Mopar calls for.[/b]
I did it on my Vulcan with no adverse effects. However, make sure to change the oil after running it only for 5-10 minutes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Like he said, you should only run it for 15-20 minutes, don't plan on driving it. Another important thing about running seafoam in the crankcase is to have a clean oil filter. If you put seafoam in and it loosens up all that dirt and runs it through an already dirty oil filter, you have a pretty good chance of clogging it up and opening the bypass which dumps a bunch of dirty oil right into where you don't want it. When I do seafoam in the crankcase I change the oil twice, once to run the seafoam and once after, fresh filter both times. You could probably get away with dumping it in your dirty oil, but you should at least get two filters.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I claim to be no expert, but I would never put "engine flush" or SeaFoam in my crank case either... You may as well pour a quart of Acetone in the crankcase.. It ruins the viscosity and leaves yer bearings at the mercy of viscosity-challenged oil for the duration that you run it. When I changed oil at VIOC (Valvoline Instant O/C) in high school we had a lady with a Merc Marquis that we did and "engine flush" on --- 2 weeks later the 5.0L spun a main bearing --who knows if it was from the engine flush, but seriously if you think about it all you are doing is breaking down oil.. As far as the SeaFoam in my Taurus' intake and gastank it ROCKS! (And yeah--I changed the plugs out shortly after -- some sweet Bosch Platinum+) Niiiiiice :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
QUOTE (ragjungle @ May 13 2009, 08:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=724918
I claim to be no expert, but I would never put "engine flush" or SeaFoam in my crank case either... You may as well pour a quart of Acetone in the crankcase.. It ruins the viscosity and leaves yer bearings at the mercy of viscosity-challenged oil for the duration that you run it. When I changed oil at VIOC (Valvoline Instant O/C) in high school we had a lady with a Merc Marquis that we did and "engine flush" on --- 2 weeks later the 5.0L spun a main bearing --who knows if it was from the engine flush, but seriously if you think about it all you are doing is breaking down oil.. As far as the SeaFoam in my Taurus' intake and gastank it ROCKS! (And yeah--I changed the plugs out shortly after -- some sweet Bosch Platinum+) Niiiiiice :)[/b]
I just put new wires and spark plugs in my car and I plan to put some seafoam in my gas tank and brake booster.

Do u think that this will ruin my plugs and wires if i put seafoam in my car????????????

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
QUOTE (Skrilla @ Apr 7 2010, 04:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=795983
I claim to be no expert, but I would never put "engine flush" or SeaFoam in my crank case either... You may as well pour a quart of Acetone in the crankcase.. It ruins the viscosity and leaves yer bearings at the mercy of viscosity-challenged oil for the duration that you run it. When I changed oil at VIOC (Valvoline Instant O/C) in high school we had a lady with a Merc Marquis that we did and "engine flush" on --- 2 weeks later the 5.0L spun a main bearing --who knows if it was from the engine flush, but seriously if you think about it all you are doing is breaking down oil.. As far as the SeaFoam in my Taurus' intake and gastank it ROCKS! (And yeah--I changed the plugs out shortly after -- some sweet Bosch Platinum+) Niiiiiice :)[/b]
I just put new wires and spark plugs in my car and I plan to put some seafoam in my gas tank and brake booster.

Do u think that this will ruin my plugs and wires if i put seafoam in my car????????????
[/b][/quote]
The plug change is due to the damage the freed carbon deposits can do to your spark plugs.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
QUOTE (Skrilla @ Apr 7 2010, 03:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=795983

[/b][/quote]

No it won't.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Never mind. Old topic. :rolleyes2:

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Apr 7 2010, 10:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=796058
QUOTE (Skrilla @ Apr 7 2010, 03:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=795983

[/b][/quote]

No it won't.
[/b][/quote]

The freed Carbon can and will damage the plugs if there is enough of it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts