Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:p Just ordered mine from Paul. Can't wait to share my results.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Awesome...... you will like it.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
With my gen 4 tec I thought shift points were the only improvment as well as tuning options for things like rev/speed limit and stuff like idle Roma, I did bog notice any hp gain but the shifting diff was huge

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well Shoz says the stock tuning runs rich during WOT, so if he is leaning it out there should be some improvement there.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Sorry for the "on the spot" post, but how does this work? Do you have to take your car to a dyno to have it tuned?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Sorry for the "on the spot" post, but how does this work? Do you have to take your car to a dyno to have it tuned?
No. It should come with a nice baseline tune that you just upload through your OBDII port. Dyno tunes come in when you have lots of mods to your car, and they need to look at all the different variables as the car's running to fine-tune it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well Shoz says the stock tuning runs rich during WOT, so if he is leaning it out there should be some improvement there.
The difference in power production in running so rich that you are fouling plugs and having ignition brerakup and so lean that you are breaking up ignition is about 10%. Lets say we are in the middle of that for a total possible 5% additional power production. At 140hp you would make 7 more hp. I doubt you would be able to tell the difference in 7 hp at the crank. What you are feeling is the timing reduction being removed during gear shifts. Ford programs the ECU to reduce timing during the shift to save the transmission. It is part of their torque limiting abuse management system. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Of course, i'd be happy to get 5hp! I'm mainly wanting the improved shifting and other miscellaneous improvements.
The Taurus transmission is a computer actuated hydraulically operated transmission. Shift improvements cannot be attained from a computer program as it is still hydraulically shifted. A physical valve body upgrade such as a shift kit would have to be installed to improve the shifting characteristics of a Taurus. What people are noticing as “better shifting” is the elimination of the timing retard during shifts, aka Fords abuse management/torque limiting. The transmission still shifts exactly the same, only now the engine is not being limited during the shift.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The Taurus transmission is a computer actuated hydraulically operated transmission. Shift improvements cannot be attained from a computer program as it is still hydraulically shifted. A physical valve body upgrade such as a shift kit would have to be installed to improve the shifting characteristics of a Taurus. What people are noticing as “better shifting” is the elimination of the timing retard during shifts, aka Fords abuse management/torque limiting. The transmission still shifts exactly the same, only now the engine is not being limited during the shift.

With the SCT software I can control just about anything with the transmission. Shift points, pressure, torque converter settings and the torque management. HP on the other hand is very dependent on the particular engine as all are different. But fuel and spark can be improved. What you cannot do is fix hardware problems with software.

Here's some screen shots from my '97 PCM. The newer PCMs have even more settings.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
With the SCT software I can control just about anything with the transmission. Shift points, pressure, torque converter settings and the torque management. HP on the other hand is very dependent on the particular engine as all are different. But fuel and spark can be improved. What you cannot do is fix hardware problems with software.

Here's some screen shots from my '97 PCM. The newer PCMs have even more settings.
Paul is correct, IIRC 96+ transmissions are nearly 100% computer controlled, I'm pretty sure there's no more TV cable shifting the transmission B)

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Wrong, among when the shifts can be control, the line pressure is regulated by the computer. You can set this value higher with the computer. Guess what a shift kit does.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I had an AX4N tranny that modified the pressures though hardware changes. It will indeed change the shift pressures, excessively. But the shift points are completely under PCM control though the shift solenoids.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well I have installed the custom tune. I have to say it is a noticeable difference throughout the rpm range. I haven't had a chance to run 91 octane but it is nice on 89. It seems to just generally run smoother and is much more responsive at lower rpm. The shifting hasn't changed as much as I had hoped but it sounds like that is something we can fine tune.

Thanks Paul, I will post more info as I drive it more and add 91 octane.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Just so you know, doing a proper shift kit will give you better results, but if you do a shift kit, you have to leave the shift values in the tuner at their stock settings, otherwise you can damage the trans.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
well I have installed the custom tune. I have to say it is a noticeable difference throughout the rpm range. I haven't had a chance to run 91 octane but it is nice on 89. It seems to just generally run smoother and is much more responsive at lower rpm. The shifting hasn't changed as much as I had hoped but it sounds like that is something we can fine tune.

Thanks Paul, I will post more info as I drive it more and add 91 octane.

Most of the shift changes are at WOT. I can change the settings at less than WOT but most people complain.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts