Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys..

Well I've been joined here for over a year and I've never needed to post...until now. Back in March, my poor baby was hit by some lady pulling out of a McDonald's. Observe:

Visually, it's not anything I'd consider to be major damage. However, since then, I keep hearing a loud scratching sound coming from the rear driver side wheel well where I was hit. It only happens when there's weight on that side (i.e. a person sitting there) and only if I go over a bump in the road. The noise is very brief, but it is very noticeable.

Is anyone able to tell me what the problem could be?

·
Registered
562 Posts
sorry to hear about your collision. Have you looked underneath or pulled the wheel off to take a peek behind there? Hopefully it's a simple splash shield fix and not mechanical but you'll have to get under there to check it out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry to hear about your collision. Have you looked underneath or pulled the wheel off to take a peek behind there? Hopefully it's a simple splash shield fix and not mechanical but you'll have to get under there to check it out.
Actually, just a few weeks ago I was getting new tires put on and I took a look in there after the old ones got taken off. My thought up until then was that it was just the splash guard rubbing on the tire, but when I checked it out, the guard on that side looked no different than the one on the other side. No bends or cracks or anything, and from what I could tell, it wasn't out of place at all... :unsure:

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Broken spring, bad strut?? :dunno:

·
Registered
562 Posts
It's kinda hard to tell from the picture but could it be the outer bodywork that is rubbing on the tire? Can you look at the tire or around that fender lip to see if there are signs of rubbing? Maybe have someone bounce on the rear bumper while you watch for contact with the tire. Looks like the springs might be sagging a little anyway. If you aren't going to have the bodywork fixed maybe just see if you can pull out that area that's dented in. The lady's insurace should pay for any repairs. Was the accident reported?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It's kinda hard to tell from the picture but could it be the outer bodywork that is rubbing on the tire? Can you look at the tire or around that fender lip to see if there are signs of rubbing? Maybe have someone bounce on the rear bumper while you watch for contact with the tire. Looks like the springs might be sagging a little anyway. If you aren't going to have the bodywork fixed maybe just see if you can pull out that area that's dented in. The lady's insurace should pay for any repairs. Was the accident reported?
The lady asked if I wanted to report it and then took off when I said that I would. Being that she was riding on temporary license plates (which have like 12 digits here in Illinois), I didn't get it memorized. I filed a hit-and-run report, but nothing ever came of it. :(

Anyway, it's not dented in enough to rub on the tire, but I do like your idea of taking a look while someone else puts weight on it...

Broken spring, bad strut?? :dunno:
Sorry for sounding like a n00b here, but what exactly do I look for to check that? As in, visually, what would be a sign that either of those could be the problem?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts