Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the Schoshe Gen 4 Radio Dash Kit way back for $56 bucks.......... Thought it was uglier than hell, but couldn't find the Metra. Daggum tab broke and I had to countersink a screw to have the kit stay in the dash :angry:
I found a Metra Gen 4 on Ebay and won it for 31 bucks..... Perfect compared to the cheap Schoshe B)
So for anyone with a Gen 4 looking to upgrade their head unit, I suggest finding the Metra Kit!
Only reason I waited and got it from ebay is b/c the online stores were averaging 70-90 dollars for the kit.
Now I have a spare dash to trunk wire harness ;)

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I second the metra kits. I've had two in previous vehicles and one in my taurus. Although it looks cheap compared to the stock setup, it's very durable compared to the schoshe. I'm probably going to replace the defroster button and leds on mine just to make it look a little better.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I've had a schoche in 2 cars now. My most recent one in my GenIV, I have had for over a years, problem free.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I have no experience with Scoche kits...I have a Metra in my Sable, and for a long time, it didn't fit quite right. I couldn't get the left tab to lock into place. I tried everything, short of cutting, and finally got so damn fed up I brought the dremel out and started trimming the sides of the kit. After about 20 minutes of fiddling, I got it to fit correctly.

JR

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have the Schoche in my car. One of the tabs broke on the inside so it takes about twenty minutes to get it to unlock with the U-keys so I can open it up and get in there. Stereo won't come out with the regular keys becuase I pushed down the retaining peices on the metal. I did this because it figure it's harder to find the U-keys than the normal keys. Then again if someone really wants my stereo, nothing that I do will prevent it.

Derek

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
How about a pic of what you're talking about? <_<

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Originally posted by Troper8@Jun 16 2004, 12:18 PM
How about a pic of what you're talking about? <_<
Hey Jeff,

You'll see mine on Saturday. ;)

-mobiuslogic

·
Registered
175 Posts
Which kit has the radio slot over the climate controls? I saw one with the radio under the controls and it just looked wrong. :)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by Dagamemnon@Jun 20 2004, 09:39 AM
Which kit has the radio slot over the climate controls? I saw one with the radio under the controls and it just looked wrong. :)
The Scosche kit.... I must say I have the Scosche kit in my Gen 3 and I haven't had any problems. I've removed the radio a few times with ease too. Perhaps things are different for the Gen4 but I haven't had a thing wrong with mine. My only gripe about the Scosche is the cheap looking defrost button, If they had the defrost button like the metra, it'd be all good. :D

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
I have to second Xavier's post. I have a G3, and have had both the Metra and the Scoche kit in it. I am MUCH happier with the quality and looks of the Scoche kit. I have had it in for almost two years without any trouble at all, and I have had to remove it three or four times to do work on other parts of the car/dash.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a pic of my new Metra Kit. The sides of this kit wrap around, and fill the stock hole in nicely. As you will see of the next couple of pics, the Scosche kit does not do this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The lesser of the two evil Defroster Buttons is the Metra.... Nice/soft rubbery. Not as cheap looking as the plastic Scosche

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
The thing that really killed me about the Metra kit was the HVAC controls indicators. They are stickers. At night when the dash lights were on, you can see the cutouts in the faceplate for the stikers. Drove me nuts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts