Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the average intervals for getting an oil change is about every 4 months and how many ever kilometres/miles... My Taurus is pretty low mileage inbetween oil changes, and I'm wondering if it's doing any harm by putting off the oil changes? For example, I last got an oil change in about May, and the sticker the dealer put on the windshield says "next scheduled maintanence August 29th / 187000kms". Well here it is October 25th and there is less than 184000 kms on it... I'm thinking it's ok if I postpone the maintanence with such low mileage, but I want to make sure there isn't any problems extending the intervals... I don't want to see poor Taury in any pain!

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
you should be fine...but dont put it off much longer

and im doing the complete opposite...last changed it at 70k in september and im almost at 75k...but im using mobile one so i should be good for another few months or atleast untill 80k

·
Registered
183 Posts
I know the average intervals for getting an oil change is about every 4 months and how many ever kilometres/miles... My Taurus is pretty low mileage inbetween oil changes, and I'm wondering if it's doing any harm by putting off the oil changes? For example, I last got an oil change in about May, and the sticker the dealer put on the windshield says "next scheduled maintanence August 29th / 187000kms". Well here it is October 25th and there is less than 184000 kms on it... I'm thinking it's ok if I postpone the maintanence with such low mileage, but I want to make sure there isn't any problems extending the intervals... I don't want to see poor Taury in any pain!
[/b]
I got my oil changed in May. Since then, I have only put on about 1,000 miles, and the oil still looks pretty clean. I was planning on changing the oil in about a month.

·
Registered
355 Posts
floorpie, the answer to your question is: "It depends".

Is your low mileage because you drive a lot of very short trips, or do you drive for longer distances, but infrequently?

If it's the former, then change the oil by the time interval; if the latter, then go by miles.

Lots of short trips where the motor doesn't get warmed up fully are very hard on the oil. A longer trip that gets all the condensation and fuel dilution out is better.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I last changed my oil in April but have only driven about 2000 miles since then. I run Mobil 1 synthetic so I am not really worried about it. I end up changing the oil about twice a year on average. If you are not running synthetic I would suggest it. Synthetic oil doesn't break down as easily as conventional oil.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
floorpie, the answer to your question is: "It depends".

Is your low mileage because you drive a lot of very short trips, or do you drive for longer distances, but infrequently?

If it's the former, then change the oil by the time interval; if the latter, then go by miles.

Lots of short trips where the motor doesn't get warmed up fully are very hard on the oil. A longer trip that gets all the condensation and fuel dilution out is better.
[/b]
The car pretty much just sits in the garage :(... When I do drive it though, it's usually for short trips... But long enough that the engine gets fully hot... I run whatever the Ford dealership puts in it! (probably not synthetic!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts