Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from a new member. I have a Silver 98 Taurus SE and just acquired a parts car (Silver 97 LX) to scavenge a rear door from as my 98 is dented. The switch was easy. Considering I have a complete running parts car, what should I take off before calling a scapper to haul it away? I don't have room to keep the whole car - but I'm guessing there are some parts worth hanging on to (just in case). Any suggestions are much appreciated.
-Ben

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
Are the interiors the same? I would save the
  • MACH RCU
  • Tweeters.
  • Speakers if they are in better condition
  • CD changer.
  • Keypad and RKE box.
  • Doors
  • Hood.
  • Engine and Tranny. I think they match. Someone from the Engine section will correct me.
  • Trunk lid. but I think they changed that part of the body.
  • Wiring!!!! I love wires, and connectors. Once you get them apart, they are easy to reconfigure for new circuits.
  • Trunk Lamp. Good mod
  • Door lamps if you are not saving the entire doors.
There 's more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (thesavo @ May 22 2010, 11:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806202
Are the interiors the same? I would save the
  • MACH RCU
  • Tweeters.
  • Speakers if they are in better condition
  • CD changer.
  • Keypad and RKE box.
  • Doors
  • Hood.
  • Engine and Tranny. I think they match. Someone from the Engine section will correct me.
  • Trunk lid. but I think they changed that part of the body.
  • Wiring!!!! I love wires, and connectors. Once you get them apart, they are easy to reconfigure for new circuits.
  • Trunk Lamp. Good mod
  • Door lamps if you are not saving the entire doors.
There 's more.[/b]
Thanks-

Both cars have gray cloth. The 98 has a power driver seat and a cd changer - neither on the parts car.
Forgive my lack of terminology. but what is the MACH RCU and where is it located? I'm guessing it's a brain or computer part but I am truly green when it comes to this car since my last Ford was a 66 Mustang.
I only want to store small stuff and don't have the means to remove the engine or tranny.

So far I have removed:
one door and some other door skins
head and tail lights,
rear speakers and wiring,
rear seat and almost $4 in change that was underneath ;)

Today I'm hoping to disable the airbags and get the nose off - it's a little different but looks like it will match -up. Please chime in if you know otherwise. I put a parting out ad on my local craiglist to help-out other Taurus owners. I'm in upstate NY near Saratoga so if any other members need something - let me know.
-Ben

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
QUOTE (BENNO @ May 22 2010, 06:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806141
Greetings from a new member. I have a Silver 98 Taurus SE and just acquired a parts car (Silver 97 LX) to scavenge a rear door from as my 98 is dented. The switch was easy. Considering I have a complete running parts car, what should I take off before calling a scapper to haul it away? I don't have room to keep the whole car - but I'm guessing there are some parts worth hanging on to (just in case). Any suggestions are much appreciated.
-Ben[/b]
Hit and run parts you might eventually need:

Degass tank
headlights
washer hose from hood to main body
heater bypass hose
TRS switch (if your not saving the trannie)
brake calipers and rotors
alternator
PS pump (leave the bracket on it)
V belt (for a spare in the trunk.. you never know)
PCM
coil pack
Tires/wheels
Rear disk swap if you don't have them
O2 sensors
cats (if you can get them off)

I have used over 3/4 of this list on mine at some point in time

OR, put your dented door back on the donor and sell it as a beater...

bob

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
Side mirrors too, if you are not saving the doors.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
QUOTE (thesavo @ May 23 2010, 01:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806287
Side mirrors too, if you are not saving the doors.[/b]
Good point. especially if there the heated mirrors and you don't have them now.
Might as well save the power window switches on the doors while your at it.

i have a a few MFS on the stalk fail also.

bob

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
QUOTE (thesavo @ May 23 2010, 01:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806287
Side mirrors too, if you are not saving the doors.[/b]
Good point. especially if there the heated mirrors and you don't have them now.
Might as well save the power window switches on the doors while your at it.

i have a a few MFS on the stalk fail also.

bob

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,409 Posts
If the parts car has a center console instead of the flip fold one, ...it is easy to sell.

Small stuff too, like the grab handles and the lighted visiors are good items,too.

Woodgrain panels around the radio and headlight switch also go fast.

I would also remove the belt tensioner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (RPFlloyd @ May 25 2010, 08:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806759
QUOTE (soundu @ May 23 2010, 01:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806277

bob[/b]
This. Why get 300 from a scrap yard when you could sell it with a dented door for 1K as a beater to someone.
[/b][/quote]

I bought it for $400 as a parts car due to a overheating problem. I got the title and receipt just in case. It overheated driving it home 30 miles at night (40 degrees). I'm guessing this happened multiple times to the previous owner so the head's probably warped. Yeah I could get lucky and have an easy fix - just not worth my time and no room in the driveway. Between what I scavenge and what I get for scrap I should do OK. There are plenty of good parts I'm pulling off so maybe I can help some other people out in the process. I need it gone by Friday so chime in your reading this and need some obscure part to make your ride happy.
-Ben

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
QUOTE (BENNO @ May 25 2010, 02:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806816
QUOTE (RPFlloyd @ May 25 2010, 08:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806759
QUOTE (soundu @ May 23 2010, 01:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806277

bob[/b]
This. Why get 300 from a scrap yard when you could sell it with a dented door for 1K as a beater to someone.
[/b][/quote]

I bought it for $400 as a parts car due to a overheating problem. I got the title and receipt just in case. It overheated driving it home 30 miles at night (40 degrees). I'm guessing this happened multiple times to the previous owner so the head's probably warped. Yeah I could get lucky and have an easy fix - just not worth my time and no room in the driveway. Between what I scavenge and what I get for scrap I should do OK. There are plenty of good parts I'm pulling off so maybe I can help some other people out in the process. I need it gone by Friday so chime in your reading this and need some obscure part to make your ride happy.
-Ben
[/b][/quote]

Makes sense

1 - 14 of 14 Posts