Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pulling out of a parking lot at school and gave it full throttle as
I do every once and a while and when I pulled my foot off the gas pedal it didnt come up with my foot. I freaked for a second then started to brake and put the car in nuetral. The rpms kept climbing so i kicked at the pedal three or four times before it came back up. I then had to stop rather quickly as I was coming to a stopsign at a T intersection. I think the pedal got wedged somehow with the floormat... needless to say, I was pretty freaked out for a while.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Adam

·
Registered
42 Posts
Try getting a ball under your brake. That sucked. Big time. Luckilly I drive a stick, so I downshifted, and used the ebrake when my speed got really low, then threw the da*n ball out the window. It deserved it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Please, please, please remember this, if your engine ever races and you cant pull back on the gas pedal, either 1. turn the engine off, you'll still have brake power but steering will be hard, either way you can stop this way, or 2. shift into neutral, this might cause the engine to bounce off the rev limiter so again it would be a good idea just to turn it off.

And yes I have turned my engine off before and just coasted into my parking spot or wherever, but you need big arms to turn the wheel if you're going slow

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
similar situations... sometimes after highway driving, i'll pull in to a gas station or whatever and the RPMs respond accordingly, but when i throw it in park they sometimes race up to 3-3.5 K and stay there....

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by MISHNAH@Mar 31 2004, 07:47 PM
Please, please, please remember this, if your engine ever races and you cant pull back on the gas pedal, either 1. turn the engine off, you'll still have brake power but steering will be hard, either way you can stop this way, or 2. shift into neutral, this might cause the engine to bounce off the rev limiter so again it would be a good idea just to turn it off.

And yes I have turned my engine off before and just coasted into my parking spot or wherever, but you need big arms to turn the wheel if you're going slow
Or you could try driving a geo metro, if you want really BIG arms. They have no power steering, AT ALL. I think if I remember correctly, they have power assist, which is belt driven. So unless youre driving, its damn hard to turn the wheel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts