Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a $100+ scanner a few years ago. It reads coolant temp, timing degrees, O2 sensors, fuel trim, the basic stuff. If I upgrade to a $300+ scanner, what will I get? Access to more sensors? Is that all? Or does it have more brain and can pinpoint the bad part?

EDIT: One thing I know the more expensive scanner does is to read ABS codes.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
It's hard to say, price is not going to be able to tell anyone really what extra features there will be in the scanner. Due to the price being higher one can assume you will be able to do more or see more data or codes, but what data you can see is based on brand name, model, etc.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Higher priced units will usually provide access to ALL codes from all systems (P, C, B and U codes) as well as read ALL PIDS (hundreds) in both numerical and graphical formats, do multiple graphing, and allow you to run on demand tests, like KOEO, KOER, EVAP, etc.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
The important functions that you can get extra would be real time monitoring and graphs and/or ABS control (to open the valves that allow beeding the brake system when air got into ABS module).

Personally I got a 100$ bluetooth device that can be read by an Android device (phone, tablet) with some software (I use Torque). There are cheaper dongles but those can be incompatible or do weird things to car PCM.

·
Registered
697 Posts
My $30 eBay OBDII bluetooth reader works just fine with Torque and my Samsung smartphone. I leave it plugged in permanently (one in each car).

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
You where lucky i guess. I did read numerous other stories with constant disconnects and even engine stalls.
I have the recomended one by Torque: Kiwi PLX Devices.

Bluetooth Adapters - TorqueWiki

Adapter from China/via ebay/amazon: Many units seem to suffer poor build quality and reliability issues. Some units are perfectly fine. Make sure you purchase with a buyer who has a decent returns policy should the unit turn out to be defective. I would recommend avoiding this adapter, *especially* if you intend to use it on a Ford or other vehicle which uses the J1850-PWM protocol

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Higher priced units will usually provide access to ALL codes from all systems (P, C, B and U codes) as well as read ALL PIDS (hundreds) in both numerical and graphical formats, do multiple graphing, and allow you to run on demand tests, like KOEO, KOER, EVAP, etc.
Do you mean for instance I can run KOER without actually running the engine? My apology in advance for ignorance.

Thanks for replies. At the present time, I am more interested in what a scan tool does (beyond my $130 Actron scanner) than what's available.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Engine needs to be running to do KOER self test.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
If you don't have the sensors to begin with in your vehicle the scan tool won't be able to pick them up anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts