Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 12V Taurus 60K mi. - Occasional minor rough idle-otherwise drives great. Getting code P-0300 on a basic Actron Tool. Are any other more advanced tools able to give a more precise diagnosis as this code is so generic it could be a vacuum leak, egr, spark, etc. This code from this tool is virtually meaningless. Willing to invest in the right scan tool if it can provide more advanced info. Have already tried a couple of cans of Seafoam, going to try Chevron's Techron additive.

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
300 is random missfire. PCM cant narrow it down any more than that. No scan tool will tell you anything different for random missfire DTC wise. A scan tool that will show mode 6 data (basically raw data directly from the PCM) will let you watch missfires accumulate with time on each individual cylinder. A scan tool that shows and/or graphs fuel trims (LTFT and STFT for each bank) is very useful for diagnosing many things including missfires.

With that said, what shape are the plugs / wires / coil pack in?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Read somewhere that this a problem with 05, 06. Ford has an update for the computor where they widened the perramitters so it doesn't show up again. Mine does the same thing. Don't know it is a charge or not at the dealer. I think there is a TSB on it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeff, thanks for the good info. I was hoping that with only 60K the plugs & wires would be OK. I will check them. How do I check the coil pack? The Mode 6 Data tool and fuel trim info sounds like I may need to get a real Scan Tool.

Lee, I totally forgot about checking TSB's. Anyone have a good (free) source?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.