Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Never actually seen a car on fire before, was driving to school today when I was turning left onto a road, I was at a stop light, I see a BMW turn around and park with hazards on, ran out, and I saw smoke... Wtf? I get my camera phone out, creep out, and I see a car on fire, so light turns green, I slowly accelerate, and snap this photo. Everyone seemed to get out right away, and right as I got to the next stop light, Fire department was already on route. By the time I left class, it was gone with a burned spot on the pavement.

I gotta say, a bit frightening thing... I am going to get me a fire extinguisher to keep in my trunk or passenger compartment. I hope everything goes well for the owner. I would be devastated if anything like that ever happened to my car.

But... Could this be due to the cruise control? :ph34r:

Either way... I found this to be an interesting start of the day. I was glad to see everyone got out of the car safely though, and to see people pulling over to help the poor fellow out.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
When I was living with my dad, his car caught fire like 2 in the morning. I was young, 6 or 7, and sleeping on the couch. I get woken up and he rushes me awake and outside. Soon as I open the door I see everything been lit up orangy. Car was on fire, whole thing engolfed. He rushed me outside cuz it was on fire next to his oil tank that fed the oil heater, which was otherside of the exterior wall I was sleeping by haha. Fire department showed up 5-10 min later and first thing they did his hose the oil tank down to keep it cool. Next morning, really cool to see a car's metal frame but damn, like to see it in more safe way.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
i saw a car catch on fire right outside white castle on the road one day. it was actually coming from the wheels not the engine!!! still a eye opening sight.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
About two years ago, I was with a buddy, driving from Philly up into the Poconos to go snowboarding. It was a Friday (we both had Friday off from classes), and it was snowing, but not too hard.

Along the way, on the PA Turnpike Northeast Extension, I saw three tractor-trailers on fire, in three different accidents. There wasn't much left of one of them. On the way home, there was nothing left but a burn mark. Another accident had one tractor-trailer ramming another from behind, and the cab of the rear TT was inside the trailer of the front one, on fire. Traffic was backed up for at least 15 miles.

Luckily, we were on the other side, and there were NO accidents, and no onlookers. We sped by at about 50 mph.

JR

·
Registered
799 Posts
They don't call them Exploders for nothin'....

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Schweet! Car fire action!

This one was a remote start/cruise control or faulty wiring of some sort. They ended up tearing down the whole house due to smoke damage. I couldn't tell you what kind of car it was and my wife refused to stop.

[attachmentid=22934]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
About two years ago, I was with a buddy, driving from Philly up into the Poconos to go snowboarding. It was a Friday (we both had Friday off from classes), and it was snowing, but not too hard.

Along the way, on the PA Turnpike Northeast Extension, I saw three tractor-trailers on fire, in three different accidents. There wasn't much left of one of them. On the way home, there was nothing left but a burn mark. Another accident had one tractor-trailer ramming another from behind, and the cab of the rear TT was inside the trailer of the front one, on fire. Traffic was backed up for at least 15 miles.

Luckily, we were on the other side, and there were NO accidents, and no onlookers. We sped by at about 50 mph.

JR
[/b]
My father had a bad brake cause the trailer to catch on fire. Luckily him and some other truck drivers got it stopped before the trailer caught. It was a load of paper.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
The only car I've ever seen on fire was a Gen 1 Taurus :icon_frown: . It was in Detroit and in the middle lane of a three lane road (can't remember which road). We pulled up behind it and there was an officer in the street that made us stop a bit back and wait a couple of minutes until it was under control. It didn't look too too bad, like no serious melting at least outside of the engine bay.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts