Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Note to administrator, although not Taurus specific, I posted here because this is where I usually post and where there seems to be the most readers.
(2 of 3 and 3 of 3 in this series are Taurus specific)
The term "old car guy" applies to both the cars and to me.
Getting old has few benefits; knowledge, experience, wisdom, provided you remember your knowledge and experience.
My wrenching days started 6 decades ago and I'm still going. One of the ongoing problems working on cars and other mechanical things is protecting your hands.
I have tried working without gloves, best for difficult jobs in awkward spaces but dangerous, I have scars to prove it, and time consuming to clean them, you never really get all that black greasy dirt off your skin and finger nails.
And various types of gloves; cotton, not bad for feel and your hands don't sweat but oil and solvents go right through. Blue Nitrile and latex gloves break easily and don't resist solvents.
Finally I found these at Harbor Freight. 9 mil Nitrile gloves, they may be available from other sources. They come in 3 - sizes, regular price is $12.99 for a box of 50 but they are often on sale for $9.99. Also, if they're not too dirty you can wash your hands with your gloves on and use them again for the next job.
I wish they had been available for all those years I worked without or used inferior gloves.
Hope this helps if you have not already discovered these, John Kenneth

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Like you, I have been wrenching on my own cars for many decades and came to prefer bare-handed long ago because the typical latex gloves tear too easily...and, heavier cloth gloves don't give me the dexterity I depend on. I'm going to give these a try next visit to HF. Thanks for bringing this recommendation to our attention.

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Note to administrator, although not Taurus specific, I posted here because this is where I usually post and where there seems to be the most readers.
(2 of 3 and 3 of 3 in this series are Taurus specific)
The term "old car guy" applies to both the cars and to me.
Getting old has few benefits; knowledge, experience, wisdom, provided you remember your knowledge and experience.
My wrenching days started 6 decades ago and I'm still going. One of the ongoing problems working on cars and other mechanical things is protecting your hands.
I have tried working without gloves, best for difficult jobs in awkward spaces but dangerous, I have scars to prove it, and time consuming to clean them, you never really get all that black greasy dirt off your skin and finger nails.
And various types of gloves; cotton, not bad for feel and your hands don't sweat but oil and solvents go right through. Blue Nitrile and latex gloves break easily and don't resist solvents.
Finally I found these at Harbor Freight. 9 mil Nitrile gloves, they may be available from other sources. They come in 3 - sizes, regular price is $12.99 for a box of 50 but they are often on sale for $9.99. Also, if they're not too dirty you can wash your hands with your gloves on and use them again for the next job.
I wish they had been available for all those years I worked without or used inferior gloves.
Hope this helps if you have not already discovered these, John Kenneth
Old coot here just passed 80. Pic of what I use as my issue is back of the hand bleeding. "Whatever Works". My first car: '35 Ford business coupe.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,038 Posts
I agree with MERCrunner. Gloves kill my dexterity and the "feel" of my tools (both hand tools and pneumatic tools). I have a pair of heat resistant gloves I wear if I have to mess with or work around hot exhaust manifolds, etc but try to avoid using them unless absolutely necessary.

Reactions: sheila

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I've been using nitrile gloves for last 15 years, never would use them, the grease that won't come off was a badge of DIY Honor. :) When doing front end work and transmission swaps (my own) I wear the yellow latex gloves to protect the nitrile gloves.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I've been wrenching for about 35 years since my Grandpa gave me my first car and I never used to wear gloves unless I needed leather gloves for protection. The last few years I've been using the same gloves that JayKay posted and I now use them all the time. They don't tear easily and I have good enough feel through them most of the time. Not only do they keep my hands clean but protected from all the common chemicals we use on repairs.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
2001 Ford Taurus Vulcan Flex AF50N
5 Posts
I use jolly green gloves from mercedessource, best latex type gloves I ever wore wear them 3 times until they start breaking

·
Registered
372 Posts
Have to admire chartmaker, just past 80, has the interest, energy, and makes the effort to utilize his vast knowledge. He also has an extensive library of Taurus repair photos. A recent example is that I need to clean my grounds. The one I need to focus on is the PCM ground. Though described on posts as passenger side firewall, never visualized it until I saw his photo as well as others. Thank you as well for the advice to bend it down so more accessible to a socket with ratchet and extension. One photo I could recognize a yellow vacuum line, some port for testing with a green cap as well as the low side AC port. My old method would have been to remove the thick wiring harness hunting for the ground. Thanks to chart and others avoided taking apart more than necessary. You as well as others are appreciated resources.
Scott

·
Registered
103 Posts
Excellent advice. I use the Japanese cotton gloves called 'gunté', very cheap, washable, but lacking a bit in dexterity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts