Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Sorry if this has been discussed, but I couldn't readily find the information I wanted with the search function.

Exactly how stiff are the SARC struts in full-hard mode? Are they only comparable to the stiffer G3 KYB's, or do they get as stiff as a normal sedan's suspension?

Also, how does the SARC system work in an SHO? I just read that it's not connected to the PCM, so could I therefore scavenge the entire system out of a boneyard SHO, and mount it all in my Sable? Or can I rig it all to a switch on my dash that functions similar to the "sport" mode on modern sports cars to firm the suspension?

And finally, if they constantly change between firm and soft, how would they react to lowering springs (assuming SHO source finally gets them going)?

-Dan

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
First SARC struts are expensive and hard to get a hold of, so getting replacments will run aorund $1000 for a set or so.

It is hooked up to a computer that is connected to the PCM I belive to get needed information like speed. I do not think you can transfer it over.

·
Registered
374 Posts
You would probably have an easier time finding a Continental in the boneyard to steal it's SARCs from. The front struts could be adapted to work with a Taurus/Sable, the rears, however, are wagon-style.

For either the SHO or Conti, the entire system cannot be transferred over, both vehicles feature variable assist power steering, which has a sensor, which feeds information to the SARC module. The SLO does not have variable assist power steering IIRC. The only other data the SARC module gets is from the vehicle speed sensor(s).

Operation from 'Soft' to 'Firm' happens just by supplying or taking away power to the struts. The SARCs could be installed sans the module and be controlled by a simple toggle switch.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought I saw some on rockauto for $75 a piece, but I just checked again & they weren't there. Maybe I dreamed it.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
If you install the SARC struts on the standard taurus they will be hard all the time. The struts are pretty stiff. You can use aftermarket springs with the SARC. Most applications that used aftermarket springs, like SHO Shop Linears, a wire and switch was installed in the fuse box so you can have the struts full hard all the time. I pulled my fuse as an experiment on my 1998 SHO but decided that letting the car adjust the struts make for a better ride and the struts went hard very quickly when the car is pushed. The V8 SHO with SS linear springs and struts set to hard with sticky tires handled very well on the street and track.

Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
sorry to bump an old thread but I was wondering if anyone knows what would happen if you put lowering springs on a SHO with the SARC struts?B)

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
well the time has come that I need new tires and the sarcs are 'gone'. (1997 sho-95K)
Is there any source for NOS sarcs? and if not what is my best alternative?
I'm old and don't want a hard ass twitchy sho but I also don't want a soft floating on clouds sho?

wj

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
Try Fast Parts Network. The parts have been discontoniued for a while, but if anyone can get them they can. Just a warning though, you're looking at almost $1,100 before shipping is even thrown into the equasion. For that kind of money you could buy and ship 5 sets of KYB's that ride and handle quite well.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
You wont be able to match SARC for the adjustability but it does give a good ride that would be between the max and min of the SARC range. Both stype will work.

I have heard of using later parts but I am unsure of how they compare.

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
I have heard of using later parts but I am unsure of how they compare.
The Gen 4 struts have much softer dampening, especially on rebound. The difference isn't huge in the front, but it is quite noticeable in the rear. With the softer Gen 4 rear springs this is fine, but I probably wouldn't want to try it with Gen 3 rear springs. I have Gen 3 KYB's on my 2000 with Gen 3 front springs and Gen 2 Cargo Coils out back. The ride is very similar to my stock '96, but the handling is better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts