Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Salvage '16 Taurus Rebuild

4K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  junkycrabman 
#1 ·
I bought a 2016 Taurus Limited that was in front end collision. My plan for this thread is give a brief overview of the work done to the car to get it back to being road worthy again.

#4 ·
I looked at pictures of the car before going to look, but I failed to notice the cracked windshield and blown dash bag. I knew after looking at it there would be a lot of work required to replace the dash and the passenger airbag under the dash. On the bright side the radiator was still full and both headlights appeared to be undamaged.

Later the week after I brought the car home I began disassembly of the front end. I was surprised how little damage there was to the left side frame rail, but yet enough to deploy both front bags.

Attachments

#5 ·
The drivers frame rail was slightly tweaked. The grill and bumper cover were both cracked so I went ahead and ordered new. I ordered a new condenser and radiator because the latter was so bent up. The active shutter was completely busted up. The wheel airbag removed easily. The dash wasn't so hard to remove it just took a lot of time and plenty of screws held it in place.

Attachments

#6 ·
Picked up both airbags and dash in the same day. Installed the passenger airbag in the dash. Most of my parts got delivered. Removed wiper arms and cowl panel to start removing windshield trim. After that was done I began cutting through the window adhesive with a piece of bicycle brake cable after cutting a hole with a knife.

Attachments

#9 ·
Finally got the new dash installed with the passenger airbag. The interrior is finally starting to look like a car again. I have yet to bolt down the dash. Since I got the bumper reinforcement bar today I could check how the frame rail horns align. I straightened the frame by eyeballing earlier, but it needs some more straightening yet to be prefect.

Attachments

#11 ·
No I didn't scan the system before I removed the deployed bags. I know that I need to replaced the driver pretensioner/ retractor because its locked. I have a scan tool that will be able to read the codes, but I'm not sure that it is able to reset the SRS module. I do have a neighbor that has a scan tool that is capable of resetting if need be.

#13 ·
I had time to get some work done on the car today. Got the radiator, condenser, and cooling fans installed inside the radiator support. Then headlights, reinforcement bar, and active shutters. I also hooked up the gauge cluster, touchscreen and the cd player unit beneth. I think I have going to have to reprogram my wireless fob because I'm getting some electrical issues that aren't letting me start the car with everything hooked up. When I disconnect the gauge cluster it starts normally, my guess would be the anti-theft system.

Attachments

#14 ·
I've been busy helping with farm harvest and the raising our 3 month old daughter so I apologize for the time. I moved the car into the garage that I painted in. I installed the dash trim panels and replaced the deployed drivers seat belt retractor.

Attachments

#15 ·
Used my stud gun and slide hammer to pull out the dents as best I could. Then I cleaned the area and applied body filler. I sanded to match the body lines as best I could, I wasn't able to match the body lines very well due to the lip being curled. I prepped and painted the hood, bumper cover and grill with primer.

Attachments

#16 ·
Paint code is G1 Absolute Black, went on great. I had trouble with my paint gun applying the clearcoat orange peel. I sanded and buffed to get the major high spots and to make it look more even. I will repaint sometime this upcoming summer because I'm not satisfied with the quality. I picked up some cheap furnace filters and wow they picked up a lot of junk from the air.

Attachments

#17 ·
Installed all of the front end body parts and had the windshield installed. I have a few dash lights on. Check engine light is on because fuel sensor has an open circuit and isn't reading any fuel in the tank. Airbag light is on because the Restraint Control Module is full and locked from the accident so I'll have to have someone take a look or send the RCM to be reset. I have MN vehicle inspection this upcoming Tuesday and will update this thread as progress continues.

Attachments

#21 ·
Went through my first car wash with the Taurus. I replaced the fuel level sender to try and fix the gauge, that seemed to be a common problem, but didnt fix the issue. I searched through this through this forum for the fuel system wiring schematic, but couldn't find the right one. If anyone could direct me or send me a link it would be a muchly appreciated. I'm guessing there was a ground that broke loose during the accident.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.