Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Noticed my 2005 Taurus is sagging on the driver’s side. The tires are correctly inflated and I took a measuring tape and measured from the inside of the wheel arch to the level garage floor. Both wheel arches in the front measured 28”. The driver’s side rear was 26 inches. The passenger side rear was 27 inches.

Looks like I need struts in the rear but was wondering about the fronts. Do the rears rend to wear out prior the the fronts? How do my numbers compare to others out there? Thanks.

Spock

·
Registered
716 Posts
I wouldnt say it needs struts, but you would have to replace them in the process. It sounds like one of the springs is sagging, or, has a broken ring.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I don't have a current car that isn't sagging so I can't give you a good comparable measurement :) These cars are well known for sagging rear springs. The early gen 4's had a issue with broken springs but I think that was fixed by '04-'05 range. Still worth checking though, pull the tire and look for the bottom coil or two to see if it's broken. Sometimes you can see it by looking underneath without pulling the tire but if broken in the right place it can be hard to tell without pulling the tire. I've replaced just the springs before but it's a real pain getting them off the strut and the struts are likely due for replacing anyway so just as easy to get a quick strut.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Hornswaggle
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing