Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I took my '91 in this morning for a tire rotation and an alignment, because for the last week the car has been pulling badly to the right. I haven't received the estimate yet (the guy who checked out my car was gone to lunch), but I'll find out later what the complete diagnosis was. In short, the mechanic on duty said that my front suspension was sagging, and there was no way for them to do an alignment without replacing parts.

Any ideas what I'll be looking at here? Maybe just weak springs? Struts? A tie rod or two? The struts are only a few years old, as are the wheels & tires, and less than 10k miles on them. Actually, 90% of the front suspension is less than 5 years old (but I digress). If the repair isn't more than a couple $100, I'll go ahead with it, since it's worth it to me to have a fun winter car to drive while my SHO sits in storage all winter. If the repair cost is unreasonable, then I'll just drive it the way it is until it finally craps out on me.

(What really sucked was having to borrow a family member's 4-cylinder Plymouth Aries... that car can't get out of it's own way
)

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Sounds like your springs are weak. If money is tight, go buy some coil rubber stiffners. It's a round coil made out of rubber and it goes inbetween the springs. It will stiffen your suspension and keep your car from sagging. Mr. Gasket and Spectre make them and they cost about $10 to $20 a piece at Autozone or Kragen. To keep them in place, buy some really long zip ties and cut the unused portion of the zip ties. You'll need about 5 zip ties for each coil.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Why put a bandaid on a would rather than fix it. This just has bad written all over it. in my opinion find out what is broke and go from there... might not cost much to actually have the springs replaced.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, after work I stopped and picked up the invoice, and at the very bottom it states "reccommended: replace coil springs." I'll get an estimate and go from there. Transmission failure is still going to be the final straw, I feel.

At this point, what's one more repair? I don't know whether I should change her name to Frankenstein or the Bionic Bull

I'd rather fix it properly than use a temporary fix, then wait to see if the springs will snap like the rear ones did (now THAT was a bumpy ride!). Come to think of it, my front tires have been rubbing once in awhile during sharp turns (ie while parking), I bet it's because of the springs

Thanks for the advice

I found every excuse to let my tires to the talking on the way back from the garage, of course

1 - 4 of 4 Posts