Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, today was a big maintenence day for my Sable. First thing we fixed were the brakes. Mine have been making quite a bit of noise, and the stopping power has declined quite a bit. Turns out, the two front rotors were glazed. Somewhere along the line I've really heated the brakes up. Well that was $60 to resurface two rotors.

Then we took it to AAMCO and they're going to do the trans. flush and filter change for $106. Also, we had two new rear struts in the trunk, so we're having them put those and new springs on the rear, plus alignment. They're charging us $310 to do this. A couple of other places in town were estimating $400 and we'd have to buy their struts because they refused to put on struts that weren't purchased through them. So $310 seems reasonable, considering the struts (Gabriel Ultra) were $40/each. The rear end of the car has become really bouncy, and there are a lot of speed tables on campus, and my car was bottoming out when going 10mph or less over them, so I'm glad we're getting that fixed. :D

That pretty much takes care of everything that needed to be taken care of. All in all, it's about $600. Just out of curiousity is that good or bad for parts and labor? The lowest labor rate in our area is $60 and that's what AAMCO charges.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Not sure where you live but assuming you are talking american dollars not canadian (or other) you more then likely got ripped for 60 bucks to have two rotors resurfaced (cut). Most pep boys (or similar shops) will do that for 8-10 bucks a rotor assuming you bring them the rotor. But i'm guessing most of that 60 bucks was their time to diagnose, put it up on the lift and...

The price for the flush is a good one from what i've experienced in the past. They usually around the low 100's for a good trans flush. Usually they don't do a filter change for that price though. It is a flush and not a drain & fill w/ a filter replacement right? Most times shops will not do a filter replacement w/ a flush since they can do the flush w/o dropping the pan. But if it is a flush and a new filter then i'd say you got a good deal on that one.

As far as strut replacement labor goes i honestly have no clue as i have never had a shop do this before.

If you don't have a aux trans cooler on their already make sure you install one after that flush, a magnefine in-line filter wouldn't hurt also. ;) Hope you enjoy the car after all the repairs are finished.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For $106 (American) they did a complete flush + new filter. The car's running great. I do, however, need to replace the plug wires soon, so I will take care of that. My list is slowly, but surely getting completed.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Well it sounds like you got a good deal on the flush and filter then. Glad to hear all is running well for you after the work. The plug wires should be a easy fix you can do yourself when you have the time and money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts