Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 05 Sable Duratec won't start, but only occasionally. It has only done this a couple of times and when it decides to not start turning the key to the run position makes the dash lights flash and under hood relays start to click. Turning the key to the start position the starter will not turn the engine over, but will sometimes give a little clunk.

I have cleaned all the grounds I can find and the battery cables are good. And, the car starts and runs perfectly except on the rare occasion when it decides to take some time off. So far I have been able to get it started usually by opening the hood and closing it. This led me to clean and reinstall the hood pin switch, I am going to clean this switch again. Anybody have any ideas? Maybe the small starter relay in the under hood relay/fuse box?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Hood switch shouldn't have anything to do with starting. I would check the basics like cable clamps, battery output, etc.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Worked great for a few weeks then failed in the Walmart parking lot. Nothing, no starter noise at all, everything else electrical works just fine. Maybe starter connections or dirty armature, brushes worn, etc. Or, the ignition switch in the column is bad. Any ideas? I'll be working on it tomorrow morning.

As for now, the Sable is safe in the barn after my brother came to the rescue with a tow strap and his hemi Dodge truck, must of killed him to pull me at 25 mph, but it was only around three miles. Also, a lot cheaper than a commercial tow truck.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
I agree with WJC.... check the starter relay in the under hood fuse / junction box by the batt. There are several identical relays in there so you can switch start relay with another not as critical one (fan, etc) and see if the problem goes away. When you pull the start relay, carefully inspect the terminals and the socket for signs of corrosion, melting, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts