Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sable starts out fine, accelerates nicely, but when slowing down occasionally it will forget to shift into first gear. It will shift right away if I move the slider. besides moving the slider it will shift if I rev it up to 3k, then jerks into first. But without moving the slider it won't shift till in reaches 0mph. It also will not have this problem until I go over 30mph, if I got to 25 then slow down it works great. Sometimes it shifts ontime :) sometimes it shifts early when slowing down and jerks into gear. :( Its not really a problem for me... its just more of an annoyance, If I wanted a car where Id have to move the slider ida bought a stick shift... I spoke with a tranny guy, he says he thinks its the epc solenoid... But he hasnt had time to look at it yet... Any ideas?

thanks

Josh

Background info
95 sable
120k miles
AX4S Tranny
Given Tranny oil change at 115x mile

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I agree, it sounds like the speed sensor.
Mine would act out at about 35-37 mph & mess with up & down shifts. I put off fixing it long enough to pop the front liquid filled motor mount, from it grabbing 1st when coming to a stop.

Are you having any problems with the speed-o being erratic, or the cruise control dropping out unexpectedly, or maybe the ABS if you have them, acting out, if so those may be clues that the speed sensor is bad.

More thoughts for pondering.

·
Super Moderator
8,222 Posts
Before replacing the VSS I would use a scan tool to look at the VSS PID to see what speed the VSS is telling the PCM.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Depending on the mileage on the tranny, i would change the fluid. I was 20K over and i changed my fluid, all my erratic shifting is gone.

(mine wouldnt shift into first either, unless i dropped it in manually.)
Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cruise control did work with this problem, but has just stopped, I think the actuator cable is lose because my mechanic friend used it to rev the engine. The speedo is fine, but my understanding is thats a cable? oh, and how would I check the pid with obd I ?

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
After thinking about it some more, you may have more than one problem.

The speed-o is cable operated, just wondered if maybe it had been hanging up, as the speed sensor connects in series with it, just on the engine compartment fire wall side.

A scantool like a Actron CP9145, or CP9150, with a Ford OBD-1 adapter cable to fit the underhood diagnostic connector, can monitor the speed sensors PID output to the computer.
Thats how I found & confirmed my bad speed sensor.

Has the tranny fluid been changed on time & how does it look, feel & smell now????

Even though I do 25-30K tranny fluid pump outs with Motorcraft fluids, I have on occasion had my Taurus AXODE tranny act up & not want to shift into 1'st gear, or hangup in what felt like "N" on a 2-1 down shift. A dose of "Seafoam Trans Tune" & driving it until it stopped acting out, then doing a pan drop, filter change & continuning on with a full fluid pump out, usually puts things right.

More thoughts for pondering.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the fluid color is a nice red... It was changed 4000 miles ago, so basically I should run it with the seafom till It shifts fine, then change the fluid assuming it's not the vss...

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Well seing as how you get some response from wigglng the tranny shifter & with the tranny fluid being that new, I'd first check a couple more things before dosing the tranny fluid with the Seafoam Trans Tune, like checking the tranny TRS switch, it's electrical & mechanical connections & the speed sensor & it's wiring.

When I used the Trans Tune, I only added 1/2 pint & drove it until it stopped acting out, but I was close to a tranny service, so I elected to change the filter & do a full fluid pump out early. The fluid looked, smelled & felt fine, but their must have been some sludge, varnish, or gum somewhere, because it didn't take long for it to begin to get better & not much longer for it to completely stop acting out.

Apparently it doesn't take much in the way of deposits to cause the Ford trannies to act up, as I'm easy on my equiptment & I've always serviced them before, or at Fords severe service call outs, with Motorcraft fluids & filters & have still had problems!!!!
I'ts beginning to make me wonder if Motorcrafts fluids & ad packs are as robust as they need to be????

Anyway if everything else checks out ok & seeing as how your fluid is new, if you decide to try the Trans Tune maybe only use 1/2 a pint with the tranny fluid warmed up. like I did & see if it's enough to get positive results & if so, as long as the fluid looks ok, consider just leaving it in until the next tranny service.

If you end up having to use the whole pint of TransTune to get results, I think I'd probably just do a fluid pump out, rather than leaving that much TransTune in the fluid.

Another good, but much more expensive tranny cleaner upper you might consider, is AutoRx for trannies.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Apparently it doesn't take much in the way of deposits to cause the Ford trannies to act up, as I'm easy on my equiptment & I've always serviced them before, or at Fords severe service call outs, with Motorcraft fluids & filters & have still had problems!!!!
I'ts beginning to make me wonder if Motorcrafts fluids & ad packs are as robust as they need to be????
---------
[/b]
Just gonna throw my two cents in.. I prefer Purolator Trans filters and Oil filters. (Mobil 1 is great though)

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
the fluid color is a nice red... It was changed 4000 miles ago, so basically I should run it with the seafom till It shifts fine, then change the fluid assuming it's not the vss...
[/b]
Will be interesting to read what you find & how it goes, so keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally had the vss replaced, there was not heat shield on it... Anyways it seems to be doing a little better... But it still has this problem when I go down hills :( but ohwell about 85% of the time it shifts, and the cruise control works:)

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Will be interesting to read what you find & how it goes, so keep us posted.
[/b][/quote]

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Did you ever add the Seafoam Trans Tune to the tranny fluid???

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
not yet, Honestly, iim a little scared to screw with it... Is it possible that stuff can make it worse? The guy the put in the vss said that stuff could damage a seal inside :( ....

Did you ever add the Seafoam Trans Tune to the tranny fluid???
[/b]

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Of course it's always possible that doing something to the tranny will make it act out worse.

Question is, whats really wrong & what's the likelyhood that Seafoam Trans Tune used as specified, will damage the tranny.

Nothing in Trans Tune that'll get after any seals, or gaskets to cause them to swell, or plastics, or metals. It's a cleaner upper that gets after gum, varnish & sludge deposits, to dissolve & put them into solution, so the tranny filter can remove them, or be removed when the fluid is changed.

So if deposits are the root cause of your shift problem, it just might help.

Now if the tranny is really dirty inside & you get crazy and dump a couple of cans in & break too much stuff loose too quick, it could clog something up maybe. But imo if you know the tranny is clean inside & you follow directions on the can, any deposits should be slowly dissolved without much chance of problems.

I began with a half dose of Trans Tune, to see if I could get any favorable results & did, so I drove it until the symptoms stopped, then did a pan drop, filter change & continued on with a full fluid pump out, so that I had all new fluid in the tranny.

Not trying to persuade or dissuade you from trying it, do whatever you feel comfortable with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts