Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys;

Question for you;

Was headed home this afternoon, when my 99 Sable acted up a bit. It shifted weird, the speedomter went to 0, and the rpms shot up to over 5000 rpms. I backed out of the throttle, and went to accelerate again. The speedometer came back up, and the rpms went back to "normal" between 1500-2000 rpms. Know I put a lot of miles on it recently, between work & home, and today as well. It has been quite warm up here as well. Could this be an indication that the tranny is going, or simply a tranny flush/gasket change (in which I dont think this particular car has ever had done to it)? If gasket change/etx, about how many quarts of tranny fluid will I need? It did run just fine after this happened. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Do you have the Duratec DOHC engine or the OHV Vulcan? This sounds like a Vehicle Speed Sensor issue if it's a DOHC engine in your Sable.

·
Super Moderator
8,625 Posts
Tranny is fine. Either the VSS is failing or there is an intermittant in the VSS circuit (corroded VCC connector, etc.). Most likely VSS is failing.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
You should also change the fluid and filter when you change the VSS. Adding an auxiliary cooler is also a good idea.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, it isnt the DOHC (my dad's Taurus is the DOHC). It has the OHV. Where is the vss located at? And how hard is it to change?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
No, it isnt the DOHC (my dad's Taurus is the DOHC). It has the OHV. Where is the vss located at? And how hard is it to change?
I had the same problem with my RoseMist Vulcan with the AX4N. It's a PITA to get out. I couldn't get mine to come out and was afraid of breaking it in half, so I had a local tranny shop do it for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts