Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently noticed that my Sable is smelling alot hotter after I drive it any distance. I just got the oil changed, so that is not the problem, any guesses?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
It smells hotter? :huh:

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
mine smells that way sometimes too but i just keep an eye on all of fluids reguarily and it is all fine. mine i think was power steering fluid dripping on the cat when my rack was leeking cause since then it has not produced the same smell just hope your rack is not goin

·
Registered
202 Posts
Perhaps it's your boots.

I say that because it happened to me.

I normally take my heat thru the vent outlets in the dash. However, with the recent cold snap, I needed heat on my feet. That's when I smelled "something hot". It turned out to be the fragrance of man made materials in my new hikers, activated by the warm air directed on them.

Regards... Mike

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Do you have a check engine light on? If the engine is running excessively rich, it will overheat the cats, which will smell like extremely hot metal.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perhaps it's your boots.

I say that because it happened to me.

I normally take my heat thru the vent outlets in the dash. However, with the recent cold snap, I needed heat on my feet. That's when I smelled "something hot". It turned out to be the fragrance of man made materials in my new hikers, activated by the warm air directed on them.

Regards... Mike

[/b]
Its not that, because the smell is outside of my car near the front of it. I smell it when I pull into the garage, and sometimes even out in the driveway or wherever I am currently at.

Do you have a check engine light on? If the engine is running excessively rich, it will overheat the cats, which will smell like extremely hot metal. [/b]
No, no check engine light is on or any other light for that matter. All of the temperature guages are in normal range, and all of my fluids are at a correct level.

I still fail to see how something smells hot. Hot is a feeling. Does it smell sweet? [/b]
I cannot explain how hot smells other than hot. It is not sweet, sour, or anything else like that.

It does not smell like an electrical problem, but I cannot find out what it is.

·
Registered
283 Posts
i get that too on my bull and it is cuz there is seepage from the oil pan gasket. it is not bad but it does drip on hot surfaces and i get that smell. just check fluids and maybe get under and see if it is sweeting a bit of oil.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i get that too on my bull and it is cuz there is seepage from the oil pan gasket. it is not bad but it does drip on hot surfaces and i get that smell. just check fluids and maybe get under and see if it is sweeting a bit of oil. [/b]
Thanks, I thought i heard something that sounded like it was dripping

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Could just be your brakes. especially if you go 60-0 pretty fast.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just recently noticed that my Sable is smelling alot hotter after I drive it any distance. I just got the oil changed, so that is not the problem, any guesses?
[/b]
I have an 02 Taurus with 3.0L OHV engine and I get a burning smell from my engine compartment while idling. I haven't noticed any loss of fluids but I haven't had the car all that long. I did notice something burning off the exhaust manifold at the near the front valve cover when I first got it. I'm thinking there could be some trapped oil down in there that may be burning off, I don't know.

·
Super Moderator
8,234 Posts
It doesnt take much of a oil or coolant leak to make it really smell bad. BTDT with more than one car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
mines the same way noticed it this fall, smells that way if i drive hard or easy, go far or very short dist. like a block, i think it may be burning leaked oil or something cause my engine is covered in a vrey nasty sootish substance, just something u have to live with i guess

·
Registered
2 Posts
my 1998 taurus vulcan has that problem.i bought for second car knew it needed steering rack man it was a gusher on the right side,fixed it myself and it has had a burned fluid smell every day since so it is either old steering fluid,oil,or coolant leak but it is never low on any fluids.so just check fluids once a week or so. good luck,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts