Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, the sable I once had has finally come to an end I believe.

The car I once through is about to give out, the engine is making a popping sound behind the valves or i think they can be the pistons. I haven't driven the car for over 4 months now because I gave it to my parents a while back. My dad called me today saying the car turned off while we was driving on the freeway to work. He let it rest and later tried to turn it on and well...It turned on but when he did the car made a weird noise as if something was lose, like whenever there is a rod knock but it was for a second after he turned it on, and does it only when being turned on.

Another thing is, when he turns it on, there is a PUFF of smoke that comes out of the UIM and it smells very raw, like BURNT. Its not a oil smell, can be exhaust from the ignition though, but after that there is no more smoke coming out, only when being turned on.

Anyone have any ideas what this can be?

Also, I probably don't deserve any help because of my past, but can you guys do this for my parents, as they truly need a car to get by. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Is this the same car that had the $1200+ engine replacement?

The LA area is full of good cars $600-1,000 on craigslist, even considering the usual bunch of scam artists. Sounds like you want a ready-to-go package, not a mechanic's special -- will pass smog test, good engine, good transmission, good brakes. Millions of cars in your area, hundreds of thousands of old folks giving up their rides.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Sounds like you shot a rod IMO.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well my dad and I took the car to a mechanic, said the engine was about to give out. So im looking to replace the engine, we found an engine for $320 w/ warranty at a local pull your parts and then another $350 to drop it in.

Should I or shouldn't I?

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
QUOTE (afterburn @ May 24 2009, 05:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727639
Well my dad and I took the car to a mechanic, said the engine was about to give out. So im looking to replace the engine, we found an engine for $320 w/ warranty at a local pull your parts and then another $350 to drop it in.

Should I or shouldn't I?[/b]
Thats your call. Is it worth it to spend another $670 on your sable? Is everything else besides the engine in good condition? Are you happy with everything it has right now? If you are then I would def. do it.

If not, id say no.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My father loves the car, except for the tranny that is getting old, body is good and the rest of the interior is great. I might decide to get them a dealer car with a few miles and a very cheap ticket price, but i do want to stay away from the dealer. So idk, what do you guys think of dealers at this time?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (afterburn @ May 25 2009, 12:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727708
My father loves the car, except for the tranny that is getting old, body is good and the rest of the interior is great. I might decide to get them a dealer car with a few miles and a very cheap ticket price, but i do want to stay away from the dealer. So idk, what do you guys think of dealers at this time?[/b]
I think dealers are desperate to make a sale. So be careful with used vehicles. Ask them if you can have a 24 hour test drive, to see if you like the vehicle.. take it to a (trusted) certified mechanic for a checkup (dont listen to what the dealer says!)

My jeep had all of its Spark plugs with NO electrodes left and 2 of the plugs insulators (its a 4cyl) were BROKEN in half. The Rotor was cooked and the cap worn to NOTHING. The coolant is WAY overdue for a change, the Differentials are now leaking and my Oil was Overdue. Thankfully its an MTX, so i dont have to FREAK about the oil in it.

My point is. The Dealer will say they "Inspected everything" but all they did was pop the hood and say YEP THATS AN ENGINE. and close it.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
QUOTE (Mediarocker @ May 25 2009, 09:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727868
QUOTE (afterburn @ May 25 2009, 12:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727708
My father loves the car, except for the tranny that is getting old, body is good and the rest of the interior is great. I might decide to get them a dealer car with a few miles and a very cheap ticket price, but i do want to stay away from the dealer. So idk, what do you guys think of dealers at this time?[/b]
I think dealers are desperate to make a sale. So be careful with used vehicles. Ask them if you can have a 24 hour test drive, to see if you like the vehicle.. take it to a (trusted) certified mechanic for a checkup (dont listen to what the dealer says!)

My jeep had all of its Spark plugs with NO electrodes left and 2 of the plugs insulators (its a 4cyl) were BROKEN in half. The Rotor was cooked and the cap worn to NOTHING. The coolant is WAY overdue for a change, the Differentials are now leaking and my Oil was Overdue. Thankfully its an MTX, so i dont have to FREAK about the oil in it.

My point is. The Dealer will say they "Inspected everything" but all they did was pop the hood and say YEP THATS AN ENGINE. and close it.
[/b][/quote]

Could not agree more. My girlfriend is in the process of buying a used car, and I've already called the dealer on a couple of 'lies'. First off, he said the car had only 1 owner, the typical old lady. But after a carfax check, I found the car had 3 owners. When I told him I found a second owner, he 'remembered' that the old lady got the car from her sister the year before. Then I mentioned there was a third owner and he had no response.

Also told me the brakes were brand new, but after a quick check with the wheel off, the front pads are down to the rivets and they're actually digging into the rotors.

Moral of the story: Check everything, used car dealers love to lie :p

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got back from the dealer, we are getting my dad a semi new car for $6695 financed. Its a 2001 Hyundai XG350 with 46,000 miles which is still under the 100,000 power-train warranty. Payments will be about 225-255 a month with only $900 down.

Very neat looking car from the inside and outside, so i think my father got the right car. I might take over the payments and have him keep my Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Sable is still around, not sure what to do with it. Either part it out or just junk it to the junk yard and get $300.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Here's some graphic proof.

SparkPlugs

That clip to the right is the OEM Factory Wire CLIP that got PULLED OUT OF THE BOOT. Apparently they didn't CHECK the plugs like they said otherwise they would have found out that this wire OBVIOUSLY was worn out. Also, the Wires were worn out through a quick test. They only flowed half the voltage they should have.

Here are the broken plugs.

Here's the burnt out rotor.

Proof enough that the coolant needs to be changed.

Also after a "Metals Check" the coolant flows .7 volts when it typically shouldn't flow more than .4-.5

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well yesterday both of us had a day off so we opened up the hell out of the engine and drained out the oil. With pulling out the oil pan, we noticed that there are some broken metal shards, nothing big but something to be aware of. The spark plugs look really good, smell somewhat burned, not gasoline burned but burnt!

I am suspecting a rod, crankshaft or piston issues.

Either way, we got the new XG300 yesterday and man we love the car, very nice suspension. Interior is great and the car is good overall.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (-James @ May 26 2009, 08:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727970
QUOTE (Mediarocker @ May 26 2009, 12:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727929
Here's some graphic proof.

SparkPlugs

[/b]
looks like its time to scrap those boschs and get some champions or something
[/b][/quote]

I put Bosch double plats in. Thats what Jeep originally called for, but they put single plats in it.. so I think that may have contributed to the excessive wear past the normal interval.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (afterburn @ May 27 2009, 12:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728311
Well yesterday both of us had a day off so we opened up the hell out of the engine and drained out the oil. With pulling out the oil pan, we noticed that there are some broken metal shards, nothing big but something to be aware of. The spark plugs look really good, smell somewhat burned, not gasoline burned but burnt!

I am suspecting a rod, crankshaft or piston issues.

Either way, we got the new XG300 yesterday and man we love the car, very nice suspension. Interior is great and the car is good overall.[/b]
Exactly as I suspected. Lemme know what comes of it. If you lived closer I would try to help out!

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks mediarocker for your help, we still have the car with us but we will postpone the repairs until my father gets a few bucks saved and I'll save to help him out a bit aswell.

:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts