Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 Sable, 3.0 OHV. Here's the deal... I have a clunking noise coming from lower end of the engine compartment near the passenger wheel, and am having a hard to figuring out what it is. Brakes are solid, it is not the strut or strut mount (they're new, plus like I said lower end of the compartment), and it has a brand new tie rod installed, no play what so ever, and the nearest engine mount was just replaced. Ideas? I'm thinking a control arm or sub frame bushing. Here is a video of what is happening:
The camera is below the car, with the passenger wheel directly to the left. Any help is huge. Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
How do you think you are going to replace the lower control arm? I believe the bushings are pressed in and to get them out you need a press. therefore the control arm have to come out. I am having the exact same problem and is looking for solutions, so if you don't mind to share your thoughts that will be much appreciated!

·
Registered
95 Posts
nearly 160K in my case, the problem existed since 140K but very intermittent, the installation of Koni struts/eibach lowering springs transferred more load to it and made it worse, now the entire passenger side front control arm have excessive play and, while still intermittent, makes loud knocking noises when going over bumps and backing up at a certain angle(already verified CV shaft being ok), due to all the metal to metal contact I am going to replace the whole control arm, not just the bushings.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i just finished replacing the control arm. i didn't bother with the bushings, got a new arm for $60. i will warn you, it is a pain in the ass to do. a word of advice, when you go to take it out, don't try to pull straight out towards the spindle, but push down on the arm where the ball joint passes through and then pull. it'll slide right out then. my damn ball joint is shot too... has a little play, but nothing horrible. still going to replace it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh, and in my case the car only has 62k. it sat for a couple years, and i think that was the main reason behind the bushing going to ****. i'll take pictures to show you guys what happened to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts