Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. My new 99 DOHC Sable has been giving me problems. About a week ago I was backing it out of the driveway and the RPMs got really low and finally died in the street. Then today it was sitting idling and the RPMs went really low again and it died. I have no idea whats wrong. The plugs and wires are new, the starter is new, battery is less then a year old, I put my old taurus's MAF on and its running better but it still dies. I've seafoamed the car and put a new fuel filter on and nothing has done it. Whats wrong?

Also, the car still takes a while to start and I have no idea why since the starter was replaced, and the plus and wires are new. HELP! I dont want to have this car take a **** on me this winter

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok well right after I posted this, I checked the mail and found that I got my new code reader in. Codes PO171 and PO174. Lean in Bank 1 and Lean in Bank 2. So what would cause this?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
The Gen 4s are known to have a vacuum leak between PCV and UIM. Definitely check out your vacuum lines for any breaks. Next, I would move on to lower intake manifold gaskets.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Gen 4s are known to have a vacuum leak between PCV and UIM. Definitely check out your vacuum lines for any breaks. Next, I would move on to lower intake manifold gaskets.
When I did the spark plugs, one of the hoses that connected to the underside of the UIM was loose. I'll have to check that out.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Bull Geek, I found the problem. A small vacuum line coming off the PCV valve has a 3/4" hole in it lol.

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Swanny09, if you havent bought the hose yet, you have 2 non-ford options. I think the oem hose is available from adv. auto part# 3029 or from the Help! section, dorman part# 46002 which is an s-shaped hose you cut an end off to make it a u, j , or candy-cane shaped hose as needed. A little silicone lube spray or spit on the pcv and intake nipples and youre good to go. Good luck.

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
That oem part# could poss. be from az or oreilly. The part# tag is still on the hose, but its been so long ago.......... Im thinking adv. auto though.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll give both a shot. I work at a small auto parts distributor and I know we have the Help! Dorman stuff but I'll have to check on that specific part number though. I have to go to autozone and get a tranny cooler too.

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Swanny09, if you havent been to az yet, i would pick up a pcv valve (part#2302) while there. Might as well change it while doing the hose since its buried under the throttle body.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Swanny09, if you havent been to az yet, i would pick up a pcv valve (part#2302) while there. Might as well change it while doing the hose since its buried under the throttle body.
I just replaced the hose and PCV tonight. I found a similar sized hose and cut it to make it work. Car runs good. Still has a problem with RPMs decreasing at intervals but its much better. Starts alot quicker now too. I'm thinking of replacing the alternator next.

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Was the vertical hose right next to the pcv hose in good shape? I would also double-check all the vac. hoses and fittings on the back side of the uim if you were back there doing plugs and wires. Esp. red and green hard lines going into the blk. rubber elbow coming from the egr and fpr. Theyve been known to slide out of the elbow on the back side.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts