Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 Sable with the 12V OHV Vulcan v6 needs a new alternator, but it looks like I have to remove the bracket to a motor mount to get it out. Can I just remove it or do I need to support the weight of the engine somehow?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
My 2005 Sable with the 12V OHV Vulcan v6 needs a new alternator, but it looks like I have to remove the bracket to a motor mount to get it out. Can I just remove it or do I need to support the weight of the engine somehow?
You can just remove it. It's a torque strut, not a support. You'll also need to remove the coolant tank hose that's in the way of the bracket bolt to get it free (you don't need to remove the reservoir in my experience, thankfully).

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
No engine support needed. It's pretty simple fix but I have had to loosen the bottle from its attachment but not removed any hoses. That one long top bolt will hit the tank but just have to move the tank a little. Make sure the alternator is for your year because pre 2002 uses a different regulator and many members have gotten wrong alternators because parts people think all tauruses are the same when it comes to Vulcans.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I just replaced it today and only had to unbolt the coolant reservoir and move it to the side. Im pretty sure I got the right alternator. It seems ok so far.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
nittanyburg20
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing