Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 2003 Sable (3.0L, 60K miles) runs smooth and strong except when it is restarted after a 10 minute cooling- off period. On occasion the re-started engine idles poorly and develops no power. When it is then allowed to cool for about 30 minutes it starts immediately, idles smoothly, and develops full power. It can then be driven for hours and it has never overheated. The temperature gauge stays properly in the mid-range between cold & hot.

Last fall, as preventive maintenance, I flushed the cooling system and replaced the thermostat with a Ford OEM part. I filled the cooling system with 50/50 water/antifreeze per the manufacturer’s recommendation. It had the hot-starting problem before and after the cooling system underwent this maintenance. In addition a new coil pack had been installed.

Has anyone had, and solved, this engine sputtering problem?

Thanks,
Sable 2003

·
Registered
564 Posts
It doesn't sound like a cooling system problem to me. I think it's a heat-soak problem, either electrical or fuel. Glad to see you put a new coil pack in, was that before or after the problems started?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it likely this stalling and sputtering problem could be caused by a faulty fuel pressure regulator? The fault code reported is 191.

I suppose the surest way to test this theory is to install a new regulator.

Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts