Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So while looking through my reciepts for my 98 vulcan, I found that back in December, I had both rear struts replaced and installed (Monroe if it makes a difference). My car still looks like it is suffering from S.A.S. It also seems to be riding a little rough when going over bumps in the road and whatnot. I see from other posts that you talk about the springs. I thought the springs and struts were all one unit? If not, any recommendations on what brand to get or other probable causes?

EDIT: So I searched RockAuto and found that they are both sold seperately. Should I think of investing in new shocks as well? they seem fairly inexpensive

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Hold up now.

Shocks are the cylindrical tube used on the rear of a wagon for suspension.

A strut is similiar in theory but different in design. Struts are used in the rear of a sedan.

If you had your rear struts (or shocks if you had a wagon) replaced already in the rear with Monroes, did they replace the springs at the same time? Considering how worn out Ford springs get after 10+ years, I hope they went ahead and replace those for you. Any pictures of the rear of your car?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I realized that about the shocks after I edited the last post and figured it was easier to leave it. When I looked at the receipt, it only says that the MONROE struts were purchased. Nothing about Springs.
What should I take pictures of to post on here? Just the rear end in general(showing the S.A.S.)?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Sure. Take a shot of the end so we can see where the body rests, where the wheel is, etc. Like a rear 1/4 shot

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just ordered those Moog springs off of RockAuto and will install them whenever they decide to arrive here. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Normal ride height

Here is a picture of the Back and the Front separately. I have some stuff in the trunk, but combined it all weighs under 100lbs
Pic of mine, on flat pavement. I know this one is in good shape. If I put my weight on the rear bumper, it goes down about one inch.

For reference.

-chart-

·
Registered
562 Posts
Just for the sake of comparison take a measurement from the ground to the top of the wheel arch before and after you replace the springs on both sides. It would be interesting to note how much difference it makes.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just dropped my car off this morning and will pick it up later today. I'll post "After" pictures on here once I get it back tonight!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The first picture is the after picture and the second is the before. The real difference can be seen when I have people in my back seat. The before and after pics look the same but the After one is more of a Straight on shot instead of the Before which was taken at more of a downward angle.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts