Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
PS: It *is* fixable, though. If you know a place that won't charge too much...most likely a "mechanic" shop will overharge for that. From what I have seen, "mechanics" generally bolt off and bolt on. Weld shop sounds like a good suggestion. I personally have never seen a weld shop or machine shop around where I live, though. Only one I have seen is a place where they weld weird shapes of scrap metal and sell them as art pieces to people who can be described as fruitcakes. Would not let such people touch an automobile with a stick, however. As usual, finding good help will probably be hard. Those that can help may try to take advantage of the situation... maybe it would be cheaper to buy an arc welder, structural steel and do it yourself? I am sure learning a new skill will be good for you, and will come in handy in the future until they ban welding... I personally have no experience welding, but I would like to learn it myself. I personally have no garage or place to do such work or learn such a skill...

·
Banned
323 Posts
Did you happen to notice that last post was 7 months old? Besides, I thought you said you were unemployed....or was that unemployable?

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Think thats bad, when i was in the bone yard the other day, i took a walk
down GM row. During my look in back seats for unfound goodies, i found
some late 80'early 90's gm front drive cars with the back seats out. i saw
daylight through the area just between the rear seat and back door area.
Many i saw were completely rotting out. One enterprising individual had the rear
suspension arm welded to a pipe which was then welded to what was left
of the unibody. The rear suspension arm literately collapsed into the back
seat area. That repair may have bought him a little time, but the grim reaper
finally took its prize at the bone yard.

i have noticed a lot of gen3's in the bone yard here with substantial
rusting in the side unibody rail area. I was looking for brake lines
a few weeks back and saw more rot on a lot of cars that i thought
was possible. It seems the side undercar plastic molding traps water and
crud under it until it literally tries to rot itself off the car.

I have struts in the near future of my gen3 and am hoping i don't have
what the pictures here have shown.

·
Registered
797 Posts
If you do try to weld it yourself make sure you disconect all electrical connections to the computer and other sensitive electrical moduels.
Good Luck

·
Registered
104 Posts
Looks oh so familiar! I am so glad I don't deal with rust anymore. I lost my 95 GL to the same problem. Went over a railroad track and that sucker popped right through. Had over 300k on that car and it still ran like new.

·
Administrator
14,946 Posts
This is the 2nd time this thread has been dug from obscurity to be posted on after being dormant a year. What are the odds? Please refrain from posting to dormant threads.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.