Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (Zenriddles @ Jan 19 2010, 03:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=780345
whoa.

What's the OUTSIDE of the car look like?[/b]
Despite the little "shopping cart dings" The outside is still in pretty good condition... there is a little rust down in front of the rear tires at the bottom.. which is also gonna be taken care of while it is garaged. lol

·
Registered
200 Posts
QUOTE (Jay T @ Jan 18 2010, 02:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=780075
QUOTE (FFVulcanPowah @ Jan 18 2010, 11:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=780070
:eek: Holy crap...[/b]
Tha'ts unbelievable! What year is that taurus? sedan or wagon?
[/b][/quote]

Are there any severe rust out locations found on the TAURUS/SABLE WAGONS ?
I have a 2004 Sable Wagon, and I just wanted to do preventive maintenance on it if there was an issue.

Ok, you current high mileage wagon owners living in rust belt states, what do you have to way about it?

TIA

k8crd
located in rust state of Michigan

·
Registered
10 Posts
A knowledgable shop/welder could put some patch plates in there . If the rest of the car is good it would be worth it .

As I mentioned in another thread , oil spray type rustproofing is common here in Ontario and really does work . My youngest son had a 94 Taurus that had been done every year and the body was perfect , even the fuel and brake lines .

I'm surprised this has not become common if the rust belt areas of the USA .
Here is info on Oil Guard that has outlets in Canada...video here as well .

http://www.oilgard.ca/

·
Registered
17 Posts
:eek: Holy ****! I just took the rears out of my 2002 and thought the little bit of rust was bad..so there is a spray to help this??

·
Registered
832 Posts
WOW.I can't even guess how many of these rear struts I've replaced in the Boston area. We get a **** ton of salt and I've never seen this...

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
:eek: Holy ****! I just took the rears out of my 2002 and thought the little bit of rust was bad..so there is a spray to help this??
When I did the rear struts on my '96, I only had a little surface rust up inside the top of the strut pockets, but that is how damage like in the pics starts. I sealed it up with Krylon Rust Fix, which converts minor rust into a non-rusting, sealed by-product and halts the oxidation process. Appears to work quite well here in "Rustchester". Oil treatments would get flushed right out by the corrosive slush our DPW crews create out of snow and ice and tons of road salt every winter.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I love Upstate New York & 4 seasons & 2 hr. road trips to Canada & Canadian Beer & REAL Buffalo Wings & knowing how to drive in snowy weather & Ford Tauruses!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I'm probably going to buy a new car come spring, got my eyes on the Mazda 3. I'll be more than happy to sell you my '07 in spring, that's been in Texas it's whole life, so no rust issues. I'm getting out of Taurus before major repairs come close, as I now have 107k nearly trouble free miles. It's hardly worth anything by now, at least with the Mazda 3, that will not be the case come trade in time. I will keep posting til I bid farewell when I'm ready to buy new. At least my bull has been very good to me, as I have to it.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
welll ive been putting those treatement to my car since i got it and sorry im in quebec and we use salt like there is no tomorrow road are nice but hard on car

so .... it work my 94 gl is rust freee

·
Registered
442 Posts
I will say...that is bizarre corrosion...were the front towers corroded like that as well? Maybe it was a manufacturing defect where the galvinization did not coat shock towers.
As for oil preventing rust, of course it works, and it has been used for a very long time. That is probably the reason the internals of the engine do not rust even though they are exposed to moisture all the time. I applied some vegetable(or maybe almond) oil to the underside of 2000 sable over a year ago in places where there were slight amounts of rust, and the oilish residue is surprisingly still there, even after going through one winter. Plus one side that had a power steering leak for a long time looks brand new in the previously leaky area.

But seriously... That is a scary amount of corrosion... and it is not a simple weld job to repair...not much to weld anything to.
Plus, isn't it tricky to weld load bearing structures to galvinized sheet metal?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.