Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car doesn't have much rust, but the rust that it does have, is contained into one spot behind my rear passenger door right before the wheel well..

Anyways, there's not really rust anymore, just a small hole, and since I don't like hole in my car, I was wondering if anyone has repaired holes or rust and if so have any tips for me.

This probably doesn't go for Gen III or IV owners sadly, and if it does, ouch.

·
Registered
549 Posts
That's the first place rust appeared on my '93 too. If you'll settle for less than perfect, you can repair it yourself like I did, using fiberglass matting and resin to cover / fill the hole, then shaping with bondo, sanding, and priming. If you don't have an air compressor you can paint like I did by getting some laquer mixed up, thinning it, and using an aerosol spray kit. Mine turned out pretty good, lasted a couple years before the rust came back.

B

·
0 Posts
Usually any body supply shop will have what you're looking for. I would also try to get some rust converter and apply that before doing any work. Unfortunately, short of cutting away the rusted panel and welding in a new one, the rust will eventually come back. Most Gen 1 and 2 cars begin rusting in this area first. It's commonly known as the "dog leg".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts