Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting the 2004 Bubble Wagon ready for another Michigan winter. I noticed a little rust starting on the bottom seams of the tailgate and doors. These are the seams that rust always finds first on most vehicles and I'm sure most of you know the spots I'm talking about. I hardly had any rust at all but I'm thinking about prevention. I want to seal all the doorskin seams so I don't have to worry about it. Looks like 3m seam sealer is the way to go but wanted to know if anyone on here has done this?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I use this:
Heavy Duty Anti Rust Aerosol Black
It is a wax based product that flows into small areas and never hardens. Clean out the bottom of the doors with compressed air and spray or brush it into the seams (on the inside of the door). I've used the 3M seam sealer when I welded in floor panels(years ago)-great stuff, but I don't think it's right for the door application.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use this:
Heavy Duty Anti Rust Aerosol Black
It is a wax based product that flows into small areas and never hardens. Clean out the bottom of the doors with compressed air and spray or brush it into the seams (on the inside of the door). I've used the 3M seam sealer when I welded in floor panels(years ago)-great stuff, but I don't think it's right for the door application.
I'm talking about the outside seam on the bottom of the doors and tailgate. I want to caulk the seam that is formed from the doorskin being rolled onto the door body. I've already sprayed the insides with 3M rustproofing.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I'm talking about the outside seam on the bottom of the doors and tailgate. I want to caulk the seam that is formed from the doorskin being rolled onto the door body. I've already sprayed the insides with 3M rustproofing.
Oops! I misunderstood. 3M seam sealer is good stuff.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I was a little late. Both backdoor seams were bad and the front passenger door was starting. If you live in a rustbelt and plan on keeping your Bull for a while I would pull the lower seal on all your doors and check the seam for rust. You can't see this rust until it's to late!!!! Mine is a very well taken care of 2004 and I can't believe how bad it was getting. Just got done fixing mine today. Wire wheel, sandpaper, rust converter, primer, seam sealer,paint and about 2 days.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well, I was a little late. Both backdoor seams were bad and the front passenger door was starting. If you live in a rustbelt and plan on keeping your Bull for a while I would pull the lower seal on all your doors and check the seam for rust. You can't see this rust until it's to late!!!! Mine is a very well taken care of 2004 and I can't believe how bad it was getting. Just got done fixing mine today. Wire wheel, sandpaper, rust converter, primer, seam sealer,paint and about 2 days.
Yes, Michigan winters are hard on our cars. That is why I got my 04 wagon rust proofed this past July. I had to drive to Midland to get it done, after waiting a month because of the waiting list. I watched as the rust proofer removed all door/hatch panels and sprayed texaco compound L. He even removed the rear door locking jam
and sprayed compound L thru the door jam bolt holes and with the rear side panels off he got to where the dog leg area is also.

Another area that he got with the car up on the hoist, is he stuck a screwdriver into the seam of the rocker areas
just enough to get his spray gun into and blasted it with compound L toward the front and rear of the rocker.

With the car up on the hoist he blasted and filled every hole in the floor plan and subframes with compound L.

The vehicle sat outside for about 2 weeks as the excess compound L dripped and ran from every conceiveable spot on the car, but it was worth it.

About 90% of the vehicles he is rustproofing are not brand new cars, but cars people are hanging onto longer because of the economy.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine was also rustproofed but this seam does not get done because it's on the outside. If they have not started rusting, they will. Wish I would have sealed this seam when the car was brand new. A quick google search of "bottom door rust" will show the seam I'm talking about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts