Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 04 taurus se with only a 3.0 ohv. I'm rebuilding most of the engine now, but previously what had happened, the coolant was leaking from some bad expansion plugs, so one night, my daughter had filled the entire system with water and of course froze overnight. Tried starting the next morning and.....well its no guessing the problems that arose lol! I was getting ready to install the new plugs and stuck my finger into the block, and was able to pull fingers full of rust particles! From the front and rear plug holes. I have to drop the engine anyway to install the large plug above the rear main seal. While dropped, what would be the BEST method of flushing it all out of the inside of block? Im a mechanic, but always like to hear new ways! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
There is a procedure from Ford on how to flush that engine because of build up of rust and casting particles. It involves removing the lower freeze plugs to flush out the rust and also using a Motorcraft flush which will neutralize the rust to a non reactive state. I have read the procedure but don't have it. This engine has a problem with rust and usually leads to plugged heater core.
So where do you live to have a freeze in June?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts