Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I got a quick question for yall. My bull was from new york and thusly the underbody is pretty rusty. ive started to rust fix and paint the underbody but i noticed something on the gas tank. the gas tank on only two corners has rust. its not rusted through and it appears to only be surface rust right now. Whats weird is that the bottom of the tank has like no rust on it. how? so how long do you guys think i have? what should i do? i dont smell any gas fumes and have not leaked any gas. Is it unsafe to have rust on the gas tank?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I am completely clueless about the rust issue. I suppose that there is a way to clean up the rust. However, if it becomes necessary to replace the gas tank, there should exist after market parts. Three years ago when I made a hole in my gas tank, I found that autozone had two part numbers, one was the 16 gallon gas tank (same as OEM capacity) and the other was 18 gallon tank. Both were offered for around $160. I ended up having some random auto shop take off and weld my gas tank because the autozone parts were sold by special order only. The cost of repairing my old gas tank was pretty close to installing a brand new one. I would have bought the 18 gallon gas tank if I wasn't in a rush to go on a road trip.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Don't worry about the rust on the tank. In most cases the top will rust through due to the moisture being help more there it seems (less airflow) A little rust is nothing to be concerned about.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't worry about the rust on the tank. In most cases the top will rust through due to the moisture being help more there it seems (less airflow) A little rust is nothing to be concerned about.
Cool thank you man. Hmm. I have this paint that is tough enough for the exhaust system. could i spay that on the tank just as an extra protector?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts