Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two fix ideas, 5+ years in the NY rust belt. The dog leg, I sanded well and formed the flange with Bondo and glass cloth. Then made a cover with 2 layers of same. In the hole, note the inside metal is gone so looking through both fender metal. After remake of outer skin, I filled the center with expanding foam. Then used aerosol undercoat over the foam on the inside. In the rockers with most of the bottom gone, I filled with expanding foam, trimmed with a hot knife. Used decking screws to hold the covers on the foam. Pic is on the opposite side but fixed side is now showing some rust surface spots, but most around the gas filler now. Sold the car and now see it as a daily driver.
As a sidebar, filling the rockers with foam makes for less road noise.

Just sharing my experience.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Nice work. I have the same issue but it’s the bottom 3 inches of the dog leg. The aggravating thing is that the factory did not coat that little section and the rust attacked it. The opposite side is fine.

My rockers are vaporized and I cringe to remove the plastic rocker covers to see how bad it is.
For those who are handy with welders Rock Auto sells doglegs and a rather simple looking weld-in rocker segment but again you have to have an interest in welding for that. Thanks for post Chart.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I too am in the rustbelt of NY, just north of Batavia...recently purchased an incredibly rust free 07 from down south. I want to take off the rocker covers before i take it to be sprayed by Rust Kote in the buffalo area in hopes of better coverage/penetraion and long term results.
Chart...dont you think the foam filling will get damp and hold moisture?

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I too am in the rustbelt of NY, just north of Batavia...recently purchased an incredibly rust free 07 from down south. I want to take off the rocker covers before i take it to be sprayed by Rust Kote in the buffalo area in hopes of better coverage/penetraion and long term results.
Chart...dont you think the foam filling will get damp and hold moisture?
That foam held for 5 NY winters and no more advance of rust. Pic of the car. I sold it so not getting a good pic up close. The rockers were rusted out the bottom and covers falling off.
Also, pic of rear wheel well and you can see where water can enter the rocker. Salt water in winter. I scrub this area with soap and water and dry completely. Then spray undercoat in the seam area to stop that flaw in Ford coating.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
I sprayed those areas with some undercoating a couple days after buying the car...it seemed to me they were inadequately covered!

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is an interesting fix. I have had Chrysler built minivans (2005 and 2007) that come from the factory with foam filled rocker panels. These vans typically have rocker panel rust showing by year five. Some owners of these vans remove the rocker panel foam because of concerns that it holds moisture and accelerates corrosion. I know the rockers on my vans were disintegrating by year eight, and I am diligent about undercarriage cleaning during the winter road salt season. I am trying to slow corrosion on my Taurus by ppying Fluid Film.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I took the taurus to a Western NYS company named Rust Kote. it was 100 buck for the 2 part spray they use. The franchise owner inspected the car before it was sprayed and stated it had incredibly little surface rust for a car of that age that had never been rust proofed. a few days before i took it there we had it on the lift to change the tranny fluid and filter- iused that opportunity to remove the pins that hold the rocker skirts on and sprayed fogging oil into them aw well as the door weep holes. Hopefully in a few years it will still be solid and net a good price as we either take it back from my son to drive ourselves when he upgrades, or sell it to help pay for the upgrade...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Rust Kote sounds similar to Fluid Film. Does it hold up to underbody car wash sprays? The manufacturer of Fluid Film advised me that Fluid Film would be "moved" by undercarriage sprays, and it would be better to delay any undercarriage flushing until the end of road salt season. Other Fluid Film users had told me they have had good rust protection waiting until spring to do an undercarriage flush. Seems counter intuitive to leave the salt on the vehicle's underside.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rust Kote sounds similar to Fluid Film. Does it hold up to underbody car wash sprays? The manufacturer of Fluid Film advised me that Fluid Film would be "moved" by undercarriage sprays, and it would be better to delay any undercarriage flushing until the end of road salt season. Other Fluid Film users had told me they have had good rust protection waiting until spring to do an undercarriage flush. Seems counter intuitive to leave the salt on the vehicle's underside.
See pic. Rotor with loose rust. I sanded the loose off the top between the red lines. Then sprayed the left side with fluid film, and right with Crown industrial. Out side face up beside my shop to the weather for a year. Fluid film about the same as a light coat of motor oil, rusting right through. Crown no new rust in loose rust or bare metal.
Later compared Crown to Eastwood frame interior spray. Eastwood held up real nice. Eastwood comes with a very nice 2' hose with spray wand on the end for interior applications.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow, that is surprising that Fluid Film performed so poorly. A quick search of the internet will uncover a lot of people who say they have had great success with Fluid Film's corrosion resistance. I have heard of Krown products, but not Crown. What specific Crown product did you use on your test?

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
This is an interesting fix. I have had Chrysler built minivans (2005 and 2007) that come from the factory with foam filled rocker panels. These vans typically have rocker panel rust showing by year five. Some owners of these vans remove the rocker panel foam because of concerns that it holds moisture and accelerates corrosion. I know the rockers on my vans were disintegrating by year eight, and I am diligent about undercarriage cleaning during the winter road salt season. I am trying to slow corrosion on my Taurus by ppying Fluid Film.
Most modern cars have foam filled rocker areas, the issue with older cars is that the design of the rocker area or steel quality weren't very good.

Wow, that is surprising that Fluid Film performed so poorly. A quick search of the internet will uncover a lot of people who say they have had great success with Fluid Film's corrosion resistance. I have heard of Krown products, but not Crown. What specific Crown product did you use on your test?
Yeah, that is interesting. I always use it. Although I have noticed that it seems easily stripped by water.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was advised not to go thru any car washes for a week..I said thats not a problem as i almost never wash my cars...
I washed this taurus 3x before i got it rust proofed though...A local chain had a pre holiday special for 5 buck complete pkg deal. That included a freebie if i wanted it washed again within a week, and because i registered with them, i goat a freebie on my birthday that i used the morning before i took it in. This car is going to my kid and i will likely get him a few car wash passes in the area he is moving to so he can keep it looking nice for a while. He however is a mess inside of a car.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was advised not to go thru any car washes for a week..I said thats not a problem as i almost never wash my cars...
I washed this taurus 3x before i got it rust proofed though...A local chain had a pre holiday special for 5 buck complete pkg deal. That included a freebie if i wanted it washed again within a week, and because i registered with them, i goat a freebie on my birthday that i used the morning before i took it in. This car is going to my kid and i will likely get him a few car wash passes in the area he is moving to so he can keep it looking nice for a while. He however is a mess inside of a car.
Daughter ran mine through under car wash place. Shortly had strut bearing chatter. Replaced the struts with ready struts. One off the car had water in the mount bearing.

When I foamed the rusted rockers on my '01. I used garden hose and washed all the mud/stones out first and let them dry for a few days first. Then sprayed the insides with rust proofing before foam. See the car from time to time, 5 years and rocker covers still in place. Serious NY rust belt.

-chart-

·
Registered
51 Posts
You did great work repairing that rust on your 2001 Taurus, it is impressive that it has remained rust free. I had thought the only way to repair a rusted vehicle was to remove the rusted metal until you were left with clean, rust-free metal.

I had rubberized undercoating applied to a new vehicle in 1990. If you keep the car a long time, the undercoating gets brittle and crscks, allowing water to get corrosion cooking beneath the layer of undercoating. Today I would go with the yearly treatment. I don't know if the rubberized coating is offered any longer. Mine had been applied by an independent rust proofing company that is no longer in business.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
5 Participants
kc27
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing