Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '99 w/24v and it's running extremely rough at lower RPM's but there are no codes being displayed. Is this common? I've ruled out poor fuel. What could be cause?

Thanks!
-rob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally got the light to come on! Checked the codes and I'm getting P0401 & P0305. I plan on following the procedure shown here for the P0401 code and then check the plugs, wires and coil for the P0305 code. I'll keep everyone posted.

PS: HUGE thanks to msutliff for posting the above thread!!!

-rob

·
Registered
23,354 Posts
^ Good plan of attack! One quick way to check your egr valve and channel is to pull the vacuum hose off the egr valve at idle and replace it with a piece of scrap sampling hose. Suck on the open end of the sample hose opening the valve and egr flow to the intake. Engine should imm. stumble or die because there should be no egr flow at idle or wot (wide open throttle). If eng. falters, this signals your problem is more than likely with the dpfe sensor. If so, i would still clean out the passageway since the tb should be removed to access the dpfe on a 99tec. If eng. doesnt stumble, youre probably plugged solid. Be a good time to spray and clean the egr valve with it removed. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, P0305 code is cleared. I believe the car had the original spark plugs at 230k miles!!! (This is my mother-in-law's car.) Unfortunately the P0401 code is still active and now I have an active P1131. Any further insight?

Thanks so much for all your help!!!

-rob

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I had a P1131 about 2 weeks ago. 2 bottles of Techron through the gas tank cleared it.
Did you clean the EGR ports under the TB yet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a P1131 about 2 weeks ago. 2 bottles of Techron through the gas tank cleared it.
Did you clean the EGR ports under the TB yet?
I added a can of SeaFoam to 8 gallons of fuel that's currently in the tank and am gonna clear the code after it's empty. I also cleaned the EGR passages when I replaced the plugs.

·
Registered
23,354 Posts
Get the dpfe sensor from advance auto or oreilly. Borg-warner part# egr155 for your 99tec. Did you ever check the pcv hose under the tb? That lean code might be indicating a vac. leak.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My daughters 99 with 150k on it was idleing up and down at red lights. Poured half a bottle of seafoam in it and cleaned the TB. Problem solved although the inside of the intake cover needs cleaning. I saw somewhere on this site, short videos about simple ways to maintain your car. Can anybody direct me to them? Thanks P.S. Good to see another Red Green fan WJC.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts