Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 05 Montego I'm trying to run two 10 gauge wires from the interior, under the driver's seat, directly to the battery. I'm installing a ham radio. In the past I've just used the 12v outlet but this radio is more powerful and needs to be connected straight to the battery because of the current it pulls.

The only problem is I can't figure out how to run the wires. There are absolutely no grommets or anything I can access on the firewall to pass the wire through. A few sites mentioned using the grommet where the hood release cable passes through but there is too much crap in the way on both the engine side and interior side of the firewall. I can't get anywhere near it. All I can guess is whoever suggested that had baby-sized hands or something.

Another site mentioned using the grommet on the floorboard where the parking brake cable passes through and then running the power wire along the bottom of the car to the battery. The only problem with this is that I can't figure out where to route the wire once I get it through. Everywhere I see is either too exposed or would be in an area that water runs through when it rains. And I don't exactly want that.

Anyone have any ideas? Surely there has to be an easier way.

·
Registered
834 Posts
On my 05 Montego I'm trying to run two 10 gauge wires from the interior, under the driver's seat, directly to the battery. I'm installing a ham radio. In the past I've just used the 12v outlet but this radio is more powerful and needs to be connected straight to the battery because of the current it pulls.

The only problem is I can't figure out how to run the wires. There are absolutely no grommets or anything I can access on the firewall to pass the wire through. A few sites mentioned using the grommet where the hood release cable passes through but there is too much crap in the way on both the engine side and interior side of the firewall. I can't get anywhere near it. All I can guess is whoever suggested that had baby-sized hands or something.

Another site mentioned using the grommet on the floorboard where the parking brake cable passes through and then running the power wire along the bottom of the car to the battery. The only problem with this is that I can't figure out where to route the wire once I get it through. Everywhere I see is either too exposed or would be in an area that water runs through when it rains. And I don't exactly want that.

Anyone have any ideas? Surely there has to be an easier way.

Not sure how fat the 10 gauge is, but I ran a few wires from the battery through the fender and where the hinges are for the door. You can see them when the door is open so maybe too exposed for you but it never really bothered me

·
Registered
25 Posts
I ran 0 gauge to my trunk this weekend. It took about an hour. The hardest part was removing the windshield wipers to get the cowl off. Once the cowl is removed, you drill a hole through the false firewall, then cut a slit in the large boot that covers where the wiring harness goes into the car. It's a large black boot that starts out parallel to the ground and then turns 90 degrees and drops into the cabin, right above the steering wheel. Once in the cabin, just run it under the carpet to the trunk.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm still working on this project. I tried sharpening a piece of metal rod and pushing that through the hood release cable grommet. That worked, but no matter how I taped the wire to the rod it would always slide off once it hit the grommet, even if I tapered the layer of electrical tape.

I also checked the steering column grommet but it appears to be smaller than I thought because I could never push all the way through. I would get through the interior side of the grommet and then hit the metal of the car.

The only other way i can see is going through the grommet in the floorboard under the driver's seat for the parking brake cable. The only problem with this method is that my wires would be running under the car, exposed to the elements for 2-3ft. I could get by that by using some split loom or some other covering. Another issue with this is that I can't figure out a good way to get from the bottom of the car up to the battery without getting near a moving part or something that gets hot.

Torsen, I can see the boot you're referring to. How do I go about removing the wiper cowl and how do I seal that boot back up to keep it water tight? I don't want to wind up with a leak.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not sure if the older models are the same but I found a large grommet under the cowl that covers the wiper motor. It is actually a double grommet about 3-4 inches in diameter. If you have it and use it, make sure you seal any holes you make as it sits horizontally and may let water in if it's not sealed.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I'm still working on this project. I tried sharpening a piece of metal rod and pushing that through the hood release cable grommet. That worked, but no matter how I taped the wire to the rod it would always slide off once it hit the grommet, even if I tapered the layer of electrical tape.
Cut an angle on a piece of conduit pipe. Push the pipe through, feed the wire through the pipe, then pull the pipe back out.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
How do I remove the wiper cowl? I don't see any screws or anything to hold it on. If the newer cars are like this one then it looks like it would be a lot of work removing the cowl just to run 2 wires.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
On my 01, the upper cowl pieces are just held on by one small screw (5.5mm?) at each end into the fender, and then just clips holding it to the lower cowl pieces spaced about a foot apart from each other across the cowl pieces. Then the lower cowl pieces are held by 3 or 4 more small screws each on the bottoms.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help everyone. I decided to give the hood release cable grommet one last try. This time I stripped 5 inches off the end of power wire. I then taped that part to the metal rod I've been using to try and feed wires through.

The wire still slid off the rod but the 5 inches I stripped came all the way through the grommet since the stripped section wasn't as thick as the rest of the cable. I was then able to grab onto that and pull the rest of the wire through since I had some leverage. I then did the same thing for the second wire. Got both wires through on the first try.

I'll probably go back and put some sealant on the grommet just to be cautious, but everything looks pretty tight.

The reason I've been so hesitant to try other routing methods is because the hood release cable grommet, at least on the Montego and Five Hundred, is about 2ft directly behind the battery. Once you get through that grommet it's a straight shot to the battery and the wire isn't exposed to any moving/hot parts or the weather.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cool you got it to work, but check this out. 2008 Taurus SEL. I managed to run a power cable for an amp in the trunk from the positive post of the battery through the driver side front fender. the cable comes off the battery, forward in the engine compartment, away from heat/moving parts, into an opening in the fender behind driver side headlight, above the front driver side wheel, between the black plastic dirt shield piece behind the wheel and the exterior sheet metal of the car body. it comes right to where the driver door hinges are, there's a small rubber grommet there thats between the two hinges. poked it through that grommet and into the vehicle. under the seats and trim panels along the far driver side of the floor all the way into the trunk. Easy as pie.

It sounds hazardous to have a cable right next to the door hinges, but with the ammount of slack I've allowed it, I am 100% certain it will never be in danger of getting pinched.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the help everyone. I decided to give the hood release cable grommet one last try. This time I stripped 5 inches off the end of power wire. I then taped that part to the metal rod I've been using to try and feed wires through.

The wire still slid off the rod but the 5 inches I stripped came all the way through the grommet since the stripped section wasn't as thick as the rest of the cable. I was then able to grab onto that and pull the rest of the wire through since I had some leverage. I then did the same thing for the second wire. Got both wires through on the first try.

I'll probably go back and put some sealant on the grommet just to be cautious, but everything looks pretty tight.

The reason I've been so hesitant to try other routing methods is because the hood release cable grommet, at least on the Montego and Five Hundred, is about 2ft directly behind the battery. Once you get through that grommet it's a straight shot to the battery and the wire isn't exposed to any moving/hot parts or the weather.
Thanks very much for this info. It was a pain in the neck, but this was the only way I was able to get it done.

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,403 Posts
For future reference if needed, put a small loop in a coat hanger, put a small length of the wires through the opening in the hanger, wrap around the wire and tape them with electrical tape. No coming off..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can you post some pics of where you ran the 10 gauge cable through were the trunk release cable goes through the firewall?
I am about to undertake the same project and I am getting off to a bad start. Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts