Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '92 Vulcan began running rough a few days ago. It starts fine and runs fine for about a mile but then begins to shudder at idle and low rpms. Also runs fine at wide open throttle. Replaced the fuel filter tonight and didn't help. The fuel pump has been making noise for a while now when the tank is around 1/4 full and below, thinking this may be the problem. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
another question...when a fuel pump fails is it always sudden? or can it be a gradual loss of performance such as I'm seeing

·
Registered
389 Posts
Our '95 Essex starteed doing the same thing a couple years ago. It turned out to be a bad vacuum line. I'm not sure exactly what it was for, but it ran from the throttle body, down to the front of the car, to a valve in front (front of car) of the tranny. After replacing that line, the car ran much better.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
fuel pump whine is a sign that the bearings on the pump are going out. It is usually a slow failure.

I would check the vacuum as Jeckler suggested. Refrenece a Haynes type manual for the specs on engine vacuum. It could also be the O2 sensors. They do not function until they have heated up to 600F, which takes a few minutes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts