Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered my subs, and was planning on running the cables for my amp this weekend. I was looking under the dash and under the hood today, and I can't find anywhere to run the power wire through the firewall. Is there already an existing hole, or do I have to drill one? and if I have to drill, where can I do that? My car is a '99 with a Duratec. If anyone can explain this to me, I'd appreciate it, and if I could see some pics of how somebody has run their wires, it would help even more. Thanks.

S

·
0 Posts
I noticed that you have 39 posts, so Im thinkin you're a newbie to this place eh? Some what at least. Well new enough to not know about the search button at the top of the window maybe?? Well any how.. you're talking to the right guy. I made a write up JUST for this type of installation. Check it out

Taurus/Sable Wiring from Engine to Cab Write-up

Check it out, if you have more questions feel free to PM me

Sal

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
You don't need to go to all that trouble. The Gen III has a rather large opening in the firewall, right above the pedal area...or at least mine does. I was able to simply push the cable through there. I didn't need to rip out the carped or anything...much easier. Have someone stand with a flashlight and shine it against the firewall from the engine bay, and you get under the dash and look for the light...it'll be there.

JR

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Sal. When I tried using the Search button, it kept telling me there were no results. How thick of a wire can you run through that way?

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by 99GBlue@Jun 23 2004, 11:07 AM
Thanks, Sal. When I tried using the Search button, it kept telling me there were no results. How thick of a wire can you run through that way?
Make sure you choose "any date" from the drop down menu in the "Search posts from..." section. It defaults to 30 days or newer. This is a common cause for not finding anything when using the search feature.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
There's another big hole up next to the brake booster. You could fit a garden hose through it. I have a 2-gauge and (2) 10-gauge wires running through there with plenty of room for more.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon@Jun 23 2004, 01:29 PM
There's another big hole up next to the brake booster. You could fit a garden hose through it. I have a 2-gauge and (2) 10-gauge wires running through there with plenty of room for more.
Do you have pics of this so I could see where it is, or can you give me a better description so I'll be able to find it? I spent 15 min looking for the hole that godspunk was talking about, and I couldn't find it.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
-Open the hood.
-Reach back along the driver’s side strut tower toward the firewall. You may need to push some PCV hoses out of the way. You will feel the outside edge of the brake booster. There is a 1” diameter rubber plug within a couple inches of the brake booster, and about an inch or two down from the lower edge of the cowl.
-Once you feel the plug, push it through to the inside of the car. It would be a really good idea to stick a long screwdriver into the hole so you can find it from inside the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts