Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Is it feasible to run a USB cable from the back of an aftermarket head unit into the glove box? I assume I need to take the trim panels off the center console to run the cable, and drill a hole for it in the glove box. Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
701 Posts
It is possible. With my gen4 all I had to do was pull the center console (radio/HVAC control assembly, the "football" on your 3rd) and drop the glove box. I was able to snake the cable though between the two holes. It should be similar to your gen3. To drop the glove box, push the inner corners together and rotate it down, it shouldn't have to be completely removed from the dash.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Personally I don't recommend it though. The idea behind leaving your iPod in the glove box seem like a good idea to me. I just got in the habit of leaving it in there all the time, seemed like a great idea, out of site, keeps the iPod charged, etc. Right up until it got stolen. Guess what the thieves went straight for.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand the risk of iPod being stolen. The way I prefer to deal with it is avoid displaying anything of value inside of the car and try parking the car in safer areas. This is why I prefer having a rear USB connection so that USB cable is not dangling from the front of the head unit. Actually, before I get a suitable carPod, I might experiment with putting my music collection onto something like 16GB USB drive. If the head unit is good at browsing through a large music collection, I might just keep the USB drive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.