Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 369 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As if I didn't already have enough work to do with the SHO build, the trans in the bruise decided to take a poop back in May, two days after the TWS run.
I found an AX4-S from a '93 SHO over on Fordbastards for the measley amount of $50.00. I took a drive up to DFW a few weeks later, picked up the trans, a gen2 CF cowl hood and 2 sets of SFCs from TexanTony and SHOMurph.
Anyway, since this thread is about the trans build let's get to it.

We've been down here dickin round with the idea of sending both units up to FPS/Doug Louis, which would be SUPER expensive!!! Steve can afford to send his, but I cannot, sooo, I saved up some $$$ and ordered a full rebuild kit, shift kit, lube dam kit, solenoids, E40D sprag, 25 spline shaft, a couple of new bands, and a steel front piston, and finally some red assembly goop. About $580.00, And you certainly can't beat free labor!!! So today, I went to Northern Tool, got me another engine stand and fabbed me up a trans fixture and got it mounted. Tonight I was able to remove the servo covers, and both pans. Thus far it looks pretty clean, there has been some water in there from sitting, but I don't know if it's from my place or the prev. owner's. I'll get some pics tomorrow if I get a chance. I'm supposed to help a neighbor friend strip a Honda Accord to make ready for scrap. Pull engine/trans/cradle/strut assembly, whop hole in gas tank, and tow away. Shouldn't be more than a few hours, so hopefully I can make progress on the trans.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, I'll start out today by saying that so far, it has been easy stuff. The neighbor didn't show up to strip the honduh so I'll start on it in the morning. The trans is completely torn apart. and I only had to fab one "special" tool, lol. Here are the pics.

My front clutch loading tool, "special" fabbed tool, lol. was at one point a garden rake that had the outer tynes broken off.

My other "special" tool, roll pin remover.

roll pins

I've also already found a couple of bad parts, the first was a broken accumulator spring.

The second bad part is the oil pump shaft.

Here it is all taken apart and on the engine stand.

Down inside.

And my pile of parts.
First we have one of the bands, the chain cover, the side pan, and the lower pan.

Next we have all the drum and shaft assemblies.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You got it bro, I have to rebuild this one, the one for Steve's SHO, and maybe even the one thats in my car now to re-sell, so thats three.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No physical progress today, but I did get some new parts. I also ordered a clutch spring compressor, should be here tomorrow.

New oil pump shaft.

New neutral/drive accumulator springs.

I also managed to strip the neighbors Honduh today. Pulled all the front suspension components. Strut assembly, upper/lower c. arms and steering knuckles, and also pulled the steering column. Engine and transmission come out tomorrow morning and the rest of the body is off to the scrap yard.

As soon as I get the drums apart, I'll get some pics of those to see if theres any damage internally.

Thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I probably could, but then I'd be one of these buisness men making a profit off of a small community that I love, and that would make me a hypocrite. But, let's not start that, I said it, it's my thread, so I'll just leave it at that.

I will say though, if any of you wanna drive down here stay in a hotel for a few and "help" rebuild YOUR OWN trans, I will be more than willing to accomodate your car.

·
Don't Be Stupid
7,049 Posts
I probably could, but then I'd be one of these buisness men making a profit off of a small community that I love, and that would make me a hypocrite. But, let's not start that, I said it, it's my thread, so I'll just leave it at that.

I will say though, if any of you wanna drive down here stay in a hotel for a few and "help" rebuild YOUR OWN trans, I will be more than willing to accomodate your car. [/b]
Hmmmmmm, I do have a Windstar with an AXOD-E with a hard 1-2 shift :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
nice thread could you post better pictures of the jig you build to hold the trans in the engine stand

jeff

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
It's a shame that a lot of these transmissions fail from such stupid problems, broken springs, stripped pumpshafts, cracked shift pistons and broken cases... If Ford just spent a few more $$ on better parts for these transmissions they would not have such a bad rep. But instead they saved $30 on parts and now pretty much everyone out there has a "taurus horror story" to tell and the junkyards are clogging up with these cars as perfectly good cars get tossed for dead transmissions.

Nice work with the rebuild so far though, I'd never have the guts to tear apart any transmission.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Rudy, honestly I'm jealous of your patience to tackle something like that. And painting the SHO also..

:notworthy:

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You know, its amazing... I have TONS of patience, with inanimate objects, ie cars, tools, etc. But when it comes to people, whooosh, out the door buddy. I dunno why, maybe its because every one nowdays is soo opinionated or what, but man, some people just instantly set me off. Eww, anyway, on to having a better day right!!!!

rayjay, I didn't come up with this "fixture" idea, it was passed to me from a guy on SHOforum, who just so happens to have your same screen-name and named Jeff too, hhmmmmm cowinkydink, I dunno :dunno: :lol2: :lol2: . Quite ingenious, I must say, and it works great!!! If I ever meet this guy I need to buy him a beer or 3. Thanks Jeff.

I don't actually have any pics of mine so if you want some I'll get 'em.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Home made tranny to engine stand adapter! FOR THE WIN!!!!!

Now all we need is a minibike to engine stand adapter!!!

You know, its amazing... I have TONS of patience, with inanimate objects, ie cars, tools, etc. But when it comes to people, whooosh, out the door buddy. I dunno why, maybe its because every one nowdays is soo opinionated or what, but man, some people just instantly set me off. Eww, anyway, on to having a better day right!!!!

rayjay, I didn't come up with this "fixture" idea, it was passed to me from a guy on SHOforum, who just so happens to have your same screen-name and named Jeff too, hhmmmmm cowinkydink, I dunno :dunno: :lol2: :lol2: . Quite ingenious, I must say, and it works great!!! If I ever meet this guy I need to buy him a beer or 3. Thanks Jeff.

I don't actually have any pics of mine so if you want some I'll get 'em.
[/b]

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, well, I dunno what the heck happened to my neighbor, but from 12:30 till 2:00 I got the engine pulled, the catalyitic converter cut off .. lol it's hollowed out(ain't gonna make no money that way), and drained the fuel. Not to bad I'd say.

and managed to remove the steering column.

·
Registered
34 Posts

I don't actually have any pics of mine so if you want some I'll get 'em. [/b]

yep thats mine lol ....yours just looks higher than mine a couple of pictures to see if you did anything different

jeff

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
rudy most off the picture dont show up ?

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry Moob, my bro keeps disconecting the server so he can play Halo3.

Ok, rayjay, as for differences, it could be "higher" because of the engine stand. I also didn't put the "extra" little support to the bell housing. The rest though, should be pretty much like yours. I could have chopped about 6 inches off the main beam, because it's a BITCH to turn that thing!!!!

On the better front....... the Honduh is gone

I know it shows the engine, but they came back and picked it up later.

As for the trans, I need to find another place local to buy the spring compressor.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
nice man

dont i never see you on msn ???

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update.

I was supposed to do a four wheel brake job and a rear main seal on Steve's friend's car this last weekend but that fizzled out. In the mean time, I managed to re-weld my extended foot peg back onto the "sui-cycle", check the other thread for that. I was supposed to recieve/pick-up my clutch spring compressor yesterday or today, the guy at the trans parts place called this morning and told me that his warehouse called him this morning telling him that it is back ordered, he still has to determine for how long though. I'm at a loss for what to do. I could probably get another one local from someone else, but I don't want to leave this guy hanging as I'll most likely have to deal with him again. Sooooo, as it stands now, I'm at a standstill on any progress towards the trans rebuild. Which really SUCKS because I was planning on having it running in a couple of weeks. Oh well, time to buy paint I guess, LOL. On another front, the city guy came out this morning and stapled a paper to our house and marked up our yard for our new driveway, so that will be started tomorrow, hopefully.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess I'll throw the 2 pics up of the driveway so far, LOL.

The first is the permit needed for the concrete co. to tear apart the curb, since it's considered city property.

the second is our "driveway" as it's been for the past few years. We simply jump the curb and park on the yard. The NEW "real" drive will be 14 feet across at the entrance, will extend 15 feet past the rear of the house(roughly 57 feet long) and will be appoximately 11 feet wide.

I'll get some more pics of the progress as it goes.

1 - 20 of 369 Posts
About this Discussion
368 Replies
42 Participants
Call_Me_Crazy
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing