Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I finally put on my new 18 inch rims and tires (235/40-18). Sorry, I did it before work this morning, no pictures yet :D

They fit (barely) everywhere except that they rub against the plastic wheel well inserts on the rears. Offset is 40. I solved the problem temporarily by removing the inserts. I can modify them by cutting away some or I can heat it and reform the lower section to give more clearance. Any comments on what others have done. I don't think spacers to move the wheels out are an option or I'd lose fender clearance.

If I've missed the answer in the forum, feel free to provide links, but I did search.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,326 Posts
A buddy of mine had the problem of fender clearance on his 02 Accord Coupe. He ended up going to a body shop and getting the fender lips rolled. Does it rub when you make turns only (swaybar) or does it just rub "for the hell of it"? (backspacing...maybe) A good person to ask would probably be Venom if you can catch him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
Tirerack told me that the recommended size for a g3 is 225/40 18 or 40% of 225mm, which is what i have. I had originally ordered 225/45. If your tire profile is 40% of 235 mm then the profile may be too high...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by gryphon1011@Aug 11 2004, 12:53 PM
A buddy of mine had the problem of fender clearance on his 02 Accord Coupe. He ended up going to a body shop and getting the fender lips rolled. Does it rub when you make turns only (swaybar) or does it just rub "for the hell of it"? (backspacing...maybe) A good person to ask would probably be Venom if you can catch him.
It doesn't touch the fender or struts, the inner sidewall of the tire rubs against the plastic piece that forms the inside of the wheel well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
My wheels do that too, but not so badly. I just left it to see what would happen and nothing bad as yet.
I was thinking of cutting it too, but then decided that even more of the stuff that gets kicked up by the tyres would go into places I don't want.

Leave the inserts in for a bit and see what happens...thats my advice.
Julian
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,168 Posts
I'd say heating & reforming would be best if you can pull it off. Eventually the tire will wear away the liner and it wont rub anymore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
Originally posted by jtkz13@Aug 12 2004, 11:20 AM
I'd say heating & reforming would be best if you can pull it off. Eventually the tire will wear away the liner and it wont rub anymore.
I went out and had a look, and thats exactly want happened to mine. It wore away and no longer rubs.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by SableOHC@Aug 11 2004, 01:29 PM
So, I finally put on my new 18 inch rims and tires (235/40-18). Sorry, I did it before work this morning, no pictures yet :D

They fit (barely) everywhere except that they rub against the plastic wheel well inserts on the rears. Offset is 40. I solved the problem temporarily by removing the inserts. I can modify them by cutting away some or I can heat it and reform the lower section to give more clearance. Any comments on what others have done. I don't think spacers to move the wheels out are an option or I'd lose fender clearance.

If I've missed the answer in the forum, feel free to provide links, but I did search.
How wide are your rims? I am lookin at some 18x8's with a 38mm offset. Probably will run 225/40-18 tires on it. ya think it will fit ok? Thanks a mill.
-Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
I have 225/40 18s with 18x7s and i have no rubbing problems. I probably have another 1.5 to 2 inches of leeway on all four corners. I've heard that people have put 245s on taurii before.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by spy2520@Aug 13 2004, 09:59 PM
I have 225/40 18s with 18x7s and i have no rubbing problems. I probably have another 1.5 to 2 inches of leeway on all four corners. I've heard that people have put 245s on taurii before.
sweeeet. whats the offset if yo dont mind me asking? pics?? B)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
594 Posts
i got problems with mine where not only does the inner liner rub but the fender lip also..so what i did and i dunno if it was a good idea..but i hammered the spots on the liner were i could see some wear..and for the lip i filed about 1/16 off..it helped a lot but my driver rear with still rub if u have enough ppl in the back...i have 235/45/17..and lowing springs...i think 1.75"
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,708 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
If you get 18X8 5-108 38C rims (offset is 38) you should be able to fit 245/40-18s on a taurus according to Discount Tire Direct.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Taurussetypes+Aug 13 2004, 08:37 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Taurussetypes @ Aug 13 2004, 08:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SableOHC@Aug 11 2004, 01:29 PM
So, I finally put on my new 18 inch rims and tires (235/40-18). Sorry, I did it before work this morning, no pictures yet :D

They fit (barely) everywhere except that they rub against the plastic wheel well inserts on the rears. Offset is 40. I solved the problem temporarily by removing the inserts. I can modify them by cutting away some or I can heat it and reform the lower section to give more clearance. Any comments on what others have done. I don't think spacers to move the wheels out are an option or I'd lose fender clearance.

If I've missed the answer in the forum, feel free to provide links, but I did search.
How wide are your rims? I am lookin at some 18x8's with a 38mm offset. Probably will run 225/40-18 tires on it. ya think it will fit ok? Thanks a mill.
-Mark [/b][/quote]
The rims are 7.5 inches. I'm not an expert in tire fitment. For the size I chose I searched the forum to see what other people made work already :D In hindsight, I would not go with 18 inch. The fit is too tempermental and the wheel weight is too great (aside from having huge problems with the seller, but that isn't related to the wheel size ;) )

Thanks to everyone for the comments.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by SableOHC@Aug 14 2004, 11:32 AM
The rims are 7.5 inches. I'm not an expert in tire fitment. For the size I chose I searched the forum to see what other people made work already :D In hindsight, I would not go with 18 inch. The fit is too tempermental

Please explain what you mean by a tempermental fit. Im really hoping to get 18x8's on my car (like quite a few others on this site), but dont really want ot hassle with any b.s problems. Thanks a mill for the info.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's really more the width of the tire than the rim. There's the rubbing I already mentioned, plus the fronts go all the way out even with the fenders. Since I have the stiffer Eibach springs and Koni struts it's pretty hard to press the body down, but if I hit a serious hole the fender will hit the tire. I think 17s with 225s would have given enough of the low profile look.

When I searched through the forum it seemed that it is hit or miss whether 18s work. It's so close that you need just the right tire/wheel combo. The quoted width from the tire manufacturer isn't a guarantee, since you don't know exactly how the sidewall profile will be.

I went ahead and did it assuming it might not work that well and I would either need to fuss around making it work, or bail and go with something else. I would not choose 18s as a no hassle solution, especially if you are going to get tires and wheels by mail order.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
I got 18s from tirerack and they were more than helpful before and after the wheels were on, and they notified me of a fitment problem before the order was shipped, we corrrected it and it shipped the smae day. Some places stand strong behind their reputation.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was speaking in general of the chance of running into problems and annoyance factors. You had the best of all possible outcomes where the problem was noticed up front and avoided. If they had missed that, there would at least have been the annoyance of shipping things back and forth with the associated delays.

Of course, the least hassle at all is to not modify cars :lol2:

I thought Tire Rack didn't recommend over 17 for the Taurus/Sable gen 3?
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top