Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I noticed that While traveling on the highway/local street, the car makes a grinding/rubbing noise while NO ACCELERATOR or BRAKES are applied (at cruising). the noise (grinding/rubbing) goes away when the gas pedal or brake pedal is applied. I tried to find the problem but so far I am unsuccesful in finding the solution.

It seems to have come from underneath the car possibly near the front of the vehicle. Is this the brakes acting up again? Is it even safe to drive this thing anymore? I do extensive traveling and I am worried that I may get stranded please advise. I will do ANYTHING that is necessary to fix it so ALL advise, opinions, comments, criticisms are welcomed. I also want to thank you guys in advance for the help!

Note: There are also problems with the exhaust, i think i may have to replace the entire system soon since it sounds like I have a V8 instead of a V6.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Sometimes it could be something as simple as your brake pad wear indicators. Hopefully nothing to serious.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by sfblacksel@Dec 26 2003, 03:19 PM
Sometimes it could be something as simple as your brake pad wear indicators. Hopefully nothing to serious.
I also forgot to mention that the noise is not a CONTINOUS noise.....it is a tapping noise (NOT KNOCKING) but there is a rhythm to it.....like a drum beat....so it is not a continous grinding/rubbing noise.

Also I did have some tires changed and I do have non-taurus wheels on...so i am guessing it may be the wheels....i dont konw...i will have to take it to a brake shop

hope fully this addition will help you solve the problem

I did do some HARD HARD braking the other day (fool in Volkswagon cut me off so i had to slam the brakes several times to avoid a crash) the noise is getting louder,a louder as each day goes by.

again, ALL advise are welcomed. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Sometimes tapping noises can be wheel bearings too. It is hard to tell sometimes, but a dependable shop should get it right the first time. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, well listen to this. I took the car to Sears this weekend and found out the car was running with ZERO brake fluid. The rear drum brake cylinder in both rear wheels were broken and all the fluid drained out through that broken part.

So, the only functional brakes were the front disc brakes (which were not is good condition too); but again what is the use of Front Disc brakes if there is no fluid in the system (Divine providence? maybe there is some reason why I am alive after all). Pretty much the tech there looked at me as if to ask "how the heck did you manage to stop the car this heavy with just the front disc brakes"

So had to replace the entire braking components (Pad, cylinders, and what not) except the braking lines. The rubbing sound has gone away now.

Total cost at Sears with WARRANTY
= $ 400.00 Including the Labor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts