Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I'm having trouble keeping the molding around my glass from turning to a nasty tan color, instead of the normal black. Is there anything anyone's used to restore the rubber? I have a 96 GL. My car is black and this makes it look like it is dirty.

Thanks in advance

joe

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i have that problem in my 96 GL... also i saw it in a 2001 taurus too...

I put son of a gun vinyl protectent... that sort of brinks back the black color...
but stays only for like a week..

J

·
0 Posts
i used armor all wipes on mine... had it on there for over a month and still looks great (even after being through some weather) - might want to try that...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate your input.
Thanks for the ideas.
Joe

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
A friend of mine has a 99' SE with the same problem. It looks like some kind of mildew or something. He hasn't bothered to take it off, I guess he is too busy. I think a medium grade green scrubbie pad could work. I have some window cleaner from Rain-X that is very abrasive and it could work too. Just follow up with some good soakings of Armor All. I haven't tryed this so if you do just do a small spot to see what it does.

Just my .02

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SFBLACKSEL,
Your idea worked like a charm! I got a green scratch pad and some bon-ami cleanser. And it cleaned that brown gunk off the rubber moldings! I put some STP protectant after cleaning the residue off and it looks almost new! You guys ROCK!!!!

Joe D.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts